Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Used sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Used sand filter

Happy Memorial weekend all!!

I am looking at a sand filter in Craigslist to replace my current 24" sand filter to go bigger for better filtration. The filter in question is a Tagelus 100d. Never having opened my filter, I just want a good idea of what to look for in a used filter. I know the laterals are easily damaged, but is such damage normally visible. Cracked tanks are another thing mentioned, assume just filling with water will show this.

I understand the multiport may require a new spider gasket and there likely is no way to tell.

Other things to closely inspect?

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Used sand filter

Look for cracks, and don't rely on a wait until filling it up. Check all the fittings for cracks and damage as well as the multiport. Plan on seals and gaskets like the multi-port you mentioned. Damaged threads...can't think of much else, but someone may. Good luck with it, hope you get a smashing good deal.

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know that brand, but be aware some spider gaskets are not serviceable, so check for parts availability before buying.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Thee multiport is a Pentair TM-22 and looks like it can be serviced by the owner from the manual.

5. Back To Top    #5

Good Day all. After some back and forth, I finally got this Tagelus TA100d, TM-22 multiport, pump, etc from a deal on Craigslist. The MPV fit on the standpipe with a little bit of coercing, twisting prior to filling and now that the filter is filled with sand it seems a bit more difficult. Wiped up everything with a damp cloth, but wondering if anyone has methods of convincing a sticky MPV to go back on the filter/standpipe? Don't want to resort to a couple of blocks and a mallet, but not sure where else to turn.

Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Bmholloway View Post
    Good Day all. After some back and forth, I finally got this Tagelus TA100d, TM-22 multiport, pump, etc from a deal on Craigslist. The MPV fit on the standpipe with a little bit of coercing, twisting prior to filling and now that the filter is filled with sand it seems a bit more difficult. Wiped up everything with a damp cloth, but wondering if anyone has methods of convincing a sticky MPV to go back on the filter/standpipe? Don't want to resort to a couple of blocks and a mallet, but not sure where else to turn.

Thanks.
    I am maybe lost.....are you talking about the multiport valve? Doesn't it attach with half-unions?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Talking about MPV sliding down over standpipe in sand filter, not connections to piping.

8. Back To Top    #8

Use some silicone pool lube on the outside of the stand pipe to help it slide on easier.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!