Intex pool - bonding - electric shock - 24h running pump with fontain

May 24, 2015
l
Hey

I'm kinda new with the Intex stuff.. while i save my money for a real pool..my wife wanted a small pool for the kids...(and us)

So i bough a small Intex 10x30 metal frame and upgraded the provided intex pump to an Intex 2100gph sand filter pump type. (2015 grey color version pump)

I'm glad i did but after reading tons of stuff on pool. i ended with few questions.. (sorry if they have been asked already, but all infos i'm getting are confusing)

First: The manual operation says never operate the pump when people are in the pool.

I understand the legal precaution taken by Intex. but since their pumps all come with a GFCI plug i though it is safer now to swim while the pump is running... is it ?
The reason im asking is also because i have hooked a secondary pip to create a sprinkler for the pool... kids love that. so is it safe to run the pump while in the pool even if it has GFCI ?

Second: Most hayward pumps or any serious pump can be grounded. But on the intex pump i can't find where i can hook a copper wire. There is simple no external screw to bind, Ditto for the pool it self. Since it has no ladder. how am i suppose to bond the pool frame ? dig a trench around a 100 bucks pool ? is it a little overkill...?

Third: Can we leave Intex sand pump outside (under the rain) or do we have to build a shelter of somesort ? (i also presume that you have to turn off the pump on rainy days ?)

Fourth:
is it safe to leave the electric pump black wire on the ground ? or should do a real electric installation type ( black wire in a 18 inches deep trench, connected to a dedicated electric box with GFCI) ?? i'm asking cuz that requires an electrician and its a kinda overkill for a temporary pool installation

Since the electric wire is in middle of the way (on the grass) I'm thinking about getting a hose or a plastic wire cover to increase the cable strenght... then to put something on top so that nobody step on the pump electric wire over and over.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Those pools don't get bonded as they are considered temporary. You can not use an extension cord with them, and I didn't see that you are, but I have seen a lot of people do that. I think leaving it off while people swim is prudent.....electricity is scary and a simple gfi is all that is protecting your loved ones when the pump is running.

The filter and pump are designed to be able to be left outside without cover. The cord should be inspected regularly for damage from mowers, rocks, mice, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.