Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My first test results with K-2006 & K-1766 Salt

1. Back To Top    #1

My first test results with K-2006 & K-1766 Salt

So I got tired of going to a pool store just to keep getting different numbers and being told what to buy. I returned the LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 that I bought because it had inaccurate results each time I ran a second test. I went with the Taylor K-2006 test kit from amazon since I wanted it right away and I also got the K-1766 for testing salt water. I placed an order for the Taylor speedstir but delivery is 2 weeks or so.

This is my first time as I'm still learning and can't wait for the speedstir as it will help greatly and will most likely give me accurate readings since I have shaky hands.

FC: 1.4
    TCL: 0 (didn't turn pink for combine chlorine)
    PH: 8.0
    TA: 160
    CH: 250
    CYA: 30
    Salt: 4,000 (ran test 2 times, is this high)
    Pool Temp: 74

I'm trying to play/learn the pool calculator.

PH telling me to use muriatic acid (i have ph down).
    3.9 oz dichlor
    63 oz stabilizer

looking for advice, please keep in mind that this is all new to me and i'm still reading and learning. Thank You.
    --------
    Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame - approx 10,000 gallons of water
    Intex Sand Filter pump (8hrs Run Time)
    Krystal Clear Saltwater Model 7110/8110 (6hr run time/day)
    K-2006 TEST KIT

2. Back To Top    #2

My first test results with K-2006 & K-1766 Salt

FC needs to be bumped up a little. Just use a little liquid chlorine to do that, then let your SWG maintain it. Ph down works, but muriatic acid is cheaper and easier. Make sure the poolmath parameters are set up with your chlorination method being swg. You do need more CYA since you are using a SWG. I would just use the pure CYA, not the dichlor. Your TCL reading should be CC. TCL is FC + CC. No need to list it. Just FC and CC. The salt isn't ridiculously high. Most swg's recommend 3000-4000.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: My first test results with K-2006 & K-1766 Salt

Also you will save money if you use the 10m line and divide total drops by .5 on the FC test.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

If you aren't getting a high salt error on the SWG then don't worry about salt.

Here is the Water Balance for a SWCG pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to calculate how much to add.

CH is not that important in a vinyl pool.
    Don't worry about TA right now, it will probably come down on its own.

The most important thing is to keep the chlorine level above minimum level for your CYA level at ALL times, Chlorine CYA Chart. When FC drops below min algae starts to grow.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

If you use pH down that you have on had to adjust, then pool math calls that dry acid. Weigh out the amount pool math says for Dry Acid Mix in a 5 gallon bucket until dissolved and then pour into the pool.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: My first test results with K-2006 &amp;amp;amp; K-1766 Salt

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    FC needs to be bumped up a little. Just use a little liquid chlorine to do that, then let your SWG maintain it. Ph down works, but muriatic acid is cheaper and easier. Make sure the poolmath parameters are set up with your chlorination method being swg. You do need more CYA since you are using a SWG. I would just use the pure CYA, not the dichlor. Your TCL reading should be CC. TCL is FC + CC. No need to list it. Just FC and CC. The salt isn't ridiculously high. Most swg's recommend 3000-4000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for your advice. What is Pure CYA?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    If you use pH down that you have on had to adjust, then pool math calls that dry acid. Weigh out the amount pool math says for Dry Acid Mix in a 5 gallon bucket until dissolved and then pour into the pool.
    Thanks, this clears it up. I was trying to figure it out on the pool calculator.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    If you aren't getting a high salt error on the SWG then don't worry about salt.

Here is the Water Balance for a SWCG pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to calculate how much to add.

CH is not that important in a vinyl pool.
    Don't worry about TA right now, it will probably come down on its own.

The most important thing is to keep the chlorine level above minimum level for your CYA level at ALL times, Chlorine CYA Chart. When FC drops below min algae starts to grow.

Thanks for your advice it's helpful.
    --------
    K-2006 TEST KIT

7. Back To Top    #7

Dichlor is chlorine and CYA. Pure CYA is usually sold as stabilizer. You had dichlor listed as something that you were going to add. I assumed it was to raise chlorine and cya. I was just saying to use just the cya and not try to add it with dichlor.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    Dichlor is chlorine and CYA. Pure CYA is usually sold as stabilizer. You had dichlor listed as something that you were going to add. I assumed it was to raise chlorine and cya. I was just saying to use just the cya and not try to add it with dichlor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FC: 1.4 went to 4 by using the SWG for 6hrs. I tested it twice, is this possible? Then it did what it was supposed to without adding liquid chlorine?
    CC: 0
    --------
    K-2006 TEST KIT

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Yes it is possible.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process