is it standard for pb have client sign form saying they ren't responsible 4 flooding

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
i had brought this basic issue here before, so for those who have read this, feel free to skip to my next paragraph, the question. for those who need background: i brought up grading with my pb many times before putting in the pool since another pool builder made a big deal about the elevation in my yard. it's been an issue ever since with the pb not being clear about needing to raise the pool or different options. a couple of pbs told me they weren't worried about water getting into my house, their job was making sure mud doesn't get into the pool when it rains. the pb i chose at one time said that wasn't even their worry. it's been confusing getting a straight answer from anyone and when i signed the contract with the pb there was a form in there that they weren't responsible if my house were to flood. strange to me that such a large change to my yard, and being up higher than the house, they wouldn't be responsible for not making sure it was done properly so that my house doesn't flood. i am going to have a grading company come out and talk with the pb about it again because they said i just need a small retaining wall and a small gully on one side of the pool and they weren't going to touch the front of our yard so the house shouldn't flood if it never has before. the city told me if they don't mess with the grading more than one foot they don't have to get engineering for grading. pool is out of ground 6" on one end.

i'm just wondering if the form is standard policy or if they created a form for us for some reason, for when i talk with them about the issue. thanku

old thread:
plumbing is almost done but we noticed a leak coming from the water valve. we'll say something but my pb never seems to make a big deal about anything that is important to me so i don't trust their response so much. i had an old handyman who with leaks to outdoor pipes he would install would say that it will build up with calcium and the leak will stop. wasn't really the case and i can't stand the idea of leaks in my brand new pool but i figured i'd check in to be prepared for a response from the pb for if they say it's not a big deal. anyone experience leaks and is it something i should make sure they fix or will it fix itself with calcium? feels silly to even say that. with leaks, do they typically have to take everything apart or do they reinforce it with plumbers tape or some other tricks on the outside of the leak? will this be something i will need to give attention to and maintenance? thanku!

old thread:
i had always had a worry about grading and spoke with the pb about it many times. they basically said they weren't touching the lower part of my yard (the part right in front of the back of our house) so water getting into my house when it rains wouldn't be an issue. the excavators thought there was to be a deck on my whole backyard. pool is 40 x 12', deck 130 sq ft and they covered the rest of my yard (about 25 x 60 feet or so) in 4 1/2" dirt. they came and took out most of the dirt and took out more in some areas than others. the pb said "looks pretty good. u didn't really have grass before anyway. we'll have the cleaning crew rake it." we live in AZ and bermuda grass grows back with simply watering it. ofcourse a lot of the yard got tore up due to plumbing, too, but am i unrealistic to think i should've had some grass left? we r so over budget and now if we want to swim this summer and not track mud into the house (have to cross grass/dirt to get to the pool) we pretty much need to do sod now. i can imagine that'll be another good couple grand. they've made lots of mistakes. it's hard for me to say how picky i should be. the pool cut into the sprinkler system so i guess we probably would've wanted to get all new sprinklers anyway so maybe i shouldn't complain. does this sound typical and like part of construction or should i ask for them to go in 1/2 with me on sod or plugs and grade the yard since they now messed with the grading they said they wouldn't mess with?

thanks.

Re: is it realistic that the pb tear apart the WHOLE backyard?

thx for letting me know. they seem to keep making mistakes and having had me sign that paper that if my house floods they rn't responsible and all the grading issues has really gotten me upset. i'll just focus on that issue when them when we talk with them, then. and the leak. plumbing is in and there is a leak from the in-floor valve. from an old handyman i had i bet he'd say it's normal and calcium will cover it up but i don't like the idea of leaks, especially this early on. have any of u had leaks in the beginning? will it work itself out? hubbie noticed and didn't say anything to the plumber at the time we'll say something for sure on tuesday, but the company is so dismissive of any of my concerns that i don't fully trust their opinions.

thx!

Re: small leaks normal?

You know, I remember when I worked as a plumber, any kind of leak was unacceptable. Even in cast iron pipe which will eventually get sealed by the rust that develops (cast iron is designed so that rust won't be an issue), we'd spend hours going over and testing all the hub fittings and even the slightest drip of water would need to be corrected.

If you don't trust what your pb is telling you, why not go down to city hall and speak to the inspector yourself? They're usually very helpful in regards to informing homeowners of any questions you have. If you can, maybe speak to the supervising inspector, some of them like to show off their knowledge and help you avoid any shortcuts the pb may be taking.

- - - Updated - - -

Ohh and to answer your other question. Leaks must be fixed, you can't just wrap them with tape and call it good. I'm sure there's some shoddy plumbers out there who do stuff like that, but it's not standard procedure.

Re: small leaks normal?

A brand new pool should not have any leaks anywhere, plumbing included. Just because your old handyman said it was ok with his past work doesn't mean the pool company will respond the same way. Give them the chance to make it right, then take action if they do not.

As far as liability if the change in grade causes the house to flood you may want to ask a lawyer to review the document. You may also want to have a landscaper who is experienced in drainage issues come out and look over the yard and see if there is a potential problem and get an estimate for re-grading if it is needed. Armed with information you may be able to get the pool builder to either do the work or chip in on the cost. I doubt signing a paper would void your rights if their negligence caused the house to flood, but I'm no lawyer. That's why I would pay one to review the document.

i had brought this basic issue here before, so for those who have read this, feel free to skip to my next paragraph, the question. for those who need background: i brought up grading with my pb many times before putting in the pool since another pool builder made a big deal about the elevation in my yard. it's been an issue ever since with the pb not being clear about needing to raise the pool or different options. a couple of pbs told me they weren't worried about water getting into my house, their job was making sure mud doesn't get into the pool when it rains. the pb i chose at one time said that wasn't even their worry. it's been confusing getting a straight answer from anyone and when i signed the contract with the pb there was a form in there that they weren't responsible if my house were to flood. strange to me that such a large change to my yard, and being up higher than the house, they wouldn't be responsible for not making sure it was done properly so that my house doesn't flood. i am going to have a grading company come out and talk with the pb about it again because they said i just need a small retaining wall and a small gully on one side of the pool and they weren't going to touch the front of our yard so the house shouldn't flood if it never has before. the city told me if they don't mess with the grading more than one foot they don't have to get engineering for grading. pool is out of ground 6" on one end.

i'm just wondering if the form is standard policy or if they created a form for us for some reason. thanku

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.