Who knows, who doesn't?

Feeling irritated by a Pool Store defender? I present to following set-up:

TFPC USER: So, what do you do when your pool turns green?

PS USER: I add a few bags of 'shock' and sometimes a bottle of algaecide and then some clarifier.

TFPC USER: <pause to let them ask what you do, proceed even if they don't>.

TFPC USER: Oh, is that what the pool stores still recommend? My pool is hasn't been green for years, in fact, it stopped turning green when I stopped asking the pool store what to do.

PS USER: Are you just trying to start an argument?

TFPC USER: No, not at all, I'm an enthusiast and I was just wondering if there was anything new on the market that treats algae because my pool hasn't been green in years.

SIL was trying to clear her pool. She seemed to understand that she took the cover off too soon. She needed her liner put back on track in one spot, so didn't want to top it off before they fixed it. It took them three weeks to come. Her DE pump is rising in pressure too often. She was getting frustrated. She knows my pool has been good the past few years, so I kind of ran through the whole TFP speal. She was listening. Til I got to the liquid chlorine. (What I like to call it so it doesn't automatically make people tune me out, ha.) she said she was afraid it would stain the liner. My son and I explained there was a greater likelihood of the shock granules laying on the bottom causing problems than the liquid hurting the liner. Did a brief run through of the relationship between CYA (she knows it as stabilizer, so that's what I used). I also told her my Intex was up for four years using the methods taught here, and it hadn't faded at all, anywhere, when I took it down last week. (Upgrading to a 26') told her to take a peek at the SLAM method on here. I talked to her, unfortunately after she had dumped in the algaecide, not before. (Didn't go into that one, didn't want to scare her off, ha.) I may just convert her after all.

Just this morning a woman at work was saying that for the first time in 8 years of owning their pool, they took the cover off to a green mess. I started telling her about CYA and liquid chlorine, but I think it was too much to process- then I mentioned liquid chlorine is bleach, and that was the end of that.....

I hear what everyone is saying. People around here think if you don't go to the pool store, you are some kind of cheapo hoosier. And bleach is what your mommy used in your galvanized kiddy pool when you were a kid, you don't do that in a real pool........

Well, lmnconn, that is the power of business. Pool companies created a culture where it is weird to not come to them. They made it seem too complicated to learn and you can not figure it out on your own. It really is amazing to see how deeply it is ingrained.

Kind of like how the US and Canada has some of the safest and cleanest tap water in the world. We also buy more bottled water than any other country. (full disclosure, I drink a bunch of bottled water, I am a hypocrite sometimes)

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

There are a few people in my area with pools that I have been encouraging to at least visit this website. Both families have inground pools. One of the families has a suction side leak and problems with a DE filter. I guess DE filters aren't very common around here. The local pool store seems uninterested in helping them so they are having to look for help from over an hour away. The other family just has water maintenance issues which one of the good test kits would fix.

I'm a helper by nature and also an educator. I just want to help them so badly, but I'm absolutely not about to force myself on them and I would have concerns that I would end up spending too much time with other people's pools and not enough time in my own.:D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.