New Pool Start Up Question

hakbrk

Feb 6, 2015
Richmond/TX
Starting up a new plaster pool and have a few doubts, I've been studying up on this site for a few months but still seem to have myself confused and know that the group will set me straight. I seem to be having trouble getting my FC numbers up but will chalk that up to using tabs in the skimmer basket and maybe just takes time, started circulating on Friday night so been about 24 hours now. PB put a few 3" tabs in the skimmer basket and we've been running the pump 24/7 as per instructions from PB. Other chemicals added at start up were 8 gallons of Acid and a bottle of sequestrant. Instructions were to let the tabs dissolve and then switch to the skimmer safe sticks. Also monitor Ph and if it gets above 7.0 before Sunday night bring it back down to 7.0, starting Monday keep it at 7.5. I've been testing twice a day and the only test I seem to have an issue with is the TA, I have a TF-100 test kit and when I try to test for TA the sample goes directly to red when I add the second reagent (R-0008), this happened when I tested last night and then again tonight. I've tried re testing with same result, I tested my fill water when we were filling and had a TA of 100. So my question would be is this normal? Both trouble getting FC up and the TA numbers. My last test numbers are bellow. Any advice or comments welcome, I will also add that the pool seems very clear for being new plaster, not that I've seen new plaster before but I was expecting more plaster dust.

FC - 0.5
CC - 0.5
CH - 250
TA - ?
PH - 6.8
CYA - Not tested yet as I assume it has not built up enough to register

OK,

He did a "hot startup" or Acid startup, so they destroyed all the TA during the process. There is none, and that's why your TA test does that. It's correct. You're pH may be lower than 6.8 if you are using the color block test which I presume you are. You simply need to begin adding Soda Ash (sodium Carbonate) NOT Baking Soda (Sodium Bi-Carbonate) or you can use Borax in small-ish doses until you reach a pH of about 7.5. Stop there when you are sure it's there and stable. You will then have a good amount of TA, and you can tweak it if you need too.

As for your FC, you simply don't have enough going into the pool from the pucks/sticks you are using. While not a bad way to start a pool, you should supplement with Liquid Chlorine (AKA Bleach) to raise the FC up some. Did he give you limitations on what FC and Cya levels to keep during the new finish start up?

Patrick, Thank you for clearing that up for me, I suspected it was going as it should just didn't know why. No he did not give any guidance on FC or CYA, I asked but he seemed to think the pucks / sticks would be fine. I was shooting to just follow the Chlorine / CYA Chart, as CYA increased I'd try to get more chlorine / bleach in to follow it up. I was hesitant to start putting in bleach, I remember reading on here that it is best to bring up the chlorine and CYA slowly with new plaster. So that I can say I followed the Builders start up procedure I'll hold off bringing the TA back up till tonight or in the morning, if the FC levels are still down this morning I'll supplement with some bleach to get it up a few ppm after testing the CYA and pick the appropriate chlorine level.

Patrick, just noticed you are in Midland, I was born in Midland but left at a young age so hard to claim much of a Midland connection. Anyway had a quick question, although covered at length on the forum I wanted to get an opinion. My pH management seems to be going well this morning it did get up to 8.2 so added acid to bring back down to 7.5. My TA is still 20-30, should I go ahead and address that and raise it, reading NPC recomendations and from a few posts here I think the answer is yes but have also seen some guidence that says to leave it alone and concentrate on managing the pH but I realize the two are related so thought I'd ask.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.