Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Party Today Won't believe what Happened

1. Back To Top    #1

Party Today Won't believe what Happened

So I had a pool party today which turned out great in the end. Tested everything the last few days everything perfect. Yesterday afternoon I start to notice a slight cloudiness to my eyes. Bother Inlaw says it looks great. I'm like hmm? Test again..FC 3ppm above target and no cc reading. We just replaced our main pump with a Pentair WhisperPro a few weeks ago and when we did the PSI jump from 10PSI old pump to 15psi. This pump is really quite and has really good flow. This morning I open the pool cover and the water is cloudy like almost a algae outbreak. I test all numbers look good. What happened unfortunately yesterday the increase flow rate blew a cleat in my Sta Rite S8M150 filter cartridige which were kinda old. So now I need to find a replacement fast since people will start showing up at noon. Called all around but finally was lucky enough to live a half hour away from InTheSwim warehouse in West Chicgo Il. Drove out got replacements and had everything flowing before the start of the party. Took a few hours to clear but all is good now. Whoo what a day!
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

2. Back To Top    #2

Wildorado Texas

Re: Party Today Won't believe what Happened

What a adventure. Glad you got it sorted.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, crisis well averted there....good deal.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

4. Back To Top    #4
    NW Ohio

The beauty of being a TFP Pool Snob, what others see as a perfect pool you see as trouble brewing. Just imagine how mich longer it would have taken to find if you didnt know everything was properly balanced...

Thanks for sharing!

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

The issue that I have with the WhisperFlo is that it's oversized for almost every pool. Even the 0.5 HP is too big for many pools.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Like JamesW says, a too big pump can sure cause issues.

Importantly, kudos to you for analyzing your situation and understanding what to do about it.......You are a true TFPC dude. Nice work!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7
    DFW, Texas

Great job diagnosing and addressing this situation. Another example of why bigger is not better when it comes to pool pumps.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.