Murrieta, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I've had this setup ever since my pool was built in March 2007. Last summer, everything worked flawlessly. I ran my pump about 12 hrs per day and had the Intellichlor set to around 15-18 percent. My chlorine levels were consistently in the 4-7 ppm range, depending on swimmer load.

This summer I have had persistent problems with maintaining chlorine. I check about 2-3 times per week, and several times that FC has been below 1.0 ppm. Whenever this happened, I superchlorinated the pool and increased the IC40 running percentage. Throughout all this, the water remained clear. Also, all the LED's were indicating proper operation.

The last month or so, I've seen readings of 0 ppm. Superchlorinating for 24 hours seemed to barely raise the FC levels. At one point, I poured 3 gallons of 10% bleach into the pool AND superchlorinated for 24 hours. I was concerned that I was on the verge of an algae bloom, so I also used an algaecide treatment. The FC was elevated for 3-4 days, and then gradually dropped to near zero again. During this period, I bumped up the IC40 to 40% operation. I'm now at a 60% run rate and still unable to maintain FC. Finally, I set the IC40 to superchlorinate for 72 hours, since I was out of chlorine. It seemed to be working (bubbles coming from the pool returns) for a couple of hours, but when I checked the next day, there were no more bubbles.

So, I checked the diagnostics on the IC40. All the LED's were dim and the "Clean Cell" LED was flashing. I opened up the cell but was unable to observe any visible scale. I didn't have any muriatic acid, so I just reinstalled the cell.

Last night, I noticed that the "Clean Cell" LED had stopped flashing. But then, a couple of hours later it was flashing again.

Does anyone know of issues with the "Clean Cell" feature on these units? The LED came on once before in May as I was about to start up the pool for the summer, and I de-scaled the cell according to the instructions in the Pentair manual. I did not see any scaling then, and there was no bubbling as I was expecting. I am suspecting that there may be an intermittent fault somewhere that is keeping the unit from operating properly.

I went to buy some acid today, so I will try descaling again tonight.

FWIW, I've had persistent issues with rising pH ever since the pool was built. I go through about 3-4 gallons of 31% muriatic acid a month during the summer. I try to keep the pH around 7.5-7.6, but it often rises to about 8.0 due to the chlorinator. I've also got fairly hard water in my area. I believe the calcium hardness of the fill water is in the 250ppm range. During the winter I had my pool water checked at a pool store and they measured CH at approximately 1000ppm using a drop based titration test. At that point I did a partial drain and fill and brought the CH down to approximately 500 ppm. That was in February or so. I imagine that after a hot summer, the CH has climbed again significantly. Could the high CH affect the IC40 cell? If it matters, my salt level, as measured by the IC40/Easytouch is about 3900 ppm. The TA varies as I can't seem to get consistent readings with my AquaChek TruTest reader.

If anyone has any insight on this, I'd appreciate some help.

I've cleaned the cell twice now. On Wednesday night, I cleaned it per the instructions in the manual using 1 part of acid to 4 parts water. It seemed to do the trick, but less than two hours later, the light was blinking again.

I called Pentair tech support and explained the situation. They instructed to try cleaning it again using 1 part acid to 1 part water. I did so and allowed it to soak for 30 minutes on Thursday night. Once again, the cell worked fine for about an hour, and then the light started blinking again.

In both cases, I put the cell into superchlorination mode for 12 hours immediately following the cleaning. When the light starts blinking, the cell stops producing chlorine and the LED's which indicate the output percentage all go dark. Oddly enough, I checked the cell this morning before leaving home. The cell was blinking, but it appeared to be producing chlorine. This could have been due to just normal air-purging. For some reason, when I am running the pool vac (Hayward Navigator), I get some air in the system. It's probably due to a leak in the intake diverter valve, but I've never been able to confirm that.

So, I'll check it again tonight to see what's going on. I've already got another call in to Pentair, and they've assigned the case to a local warranty center that's supposed to come out and take a look at it within the next few days.

As for the cord, I don't believe there is any damage, although I haven't checked it yet. The cord is strapped to the plumbing, and the excess length is neatly bundled. It has been like this since the pool was built. I've only removed the cell for cleaning one time before this week, and that was about 6 months ago. FWIW, when I cleaned the cell, I unplugged it from the easytouch. I did not see anything in the manual that said I needed to unplug it, but I didn't think it was a good idea to pour acid into a live circuit.

Doesn't sound good for the cell. FWIW, this wouldn't be the first time I've heard of an intellichlor cell biting the dust early. Did Pentair tech support have anything to say about possible effects of high calcium other than calcification? Between the salt being almost 4000 and the calcium being as high as it is, I'd imagine your water is a bit more conductive than the average Joe's which could be drawing excessive amperage. Maybe one of our chemistry gurus can enlighten us on that.

Of course there's always the possibility that it's the easy touch causing the issue. Hopefully your warranty center will be kind enough to bring out a seperate IC40 power center to run it on its own to take the auto controls out of the equation.

Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

I got a call from the warranty center on Saturday. He's going to be out to the house today, and I believe he's going to go ahead and replace the cell. He didn't ask me to be there, so I figure he's not going to bother doing much troubleshooting.

Oddly, the cell has been working, albeit intermittently. Without watching it nonstop, I don't know how reliable it is. I do know that if I put it into superchlorinate mode, it works fine for about an hour or so, and then the light starts blinking. In normal operation, it appears to work, but my experience this summer leads me to believe that it isn't stable.

Update:

The Pentair warranty station in my area came out on Monday to replace the salt cell.

Everything is working fine now.

I'm concerned that this might become a recurring problem, but kudos to Pentair for taking care of me quickly and efficiently.

Thanks,

I had my water tested on Saturday at Leslies, and the CH was 500, so not as bad as I was expecting. I will do another partial drain this winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.