Using the pool store not them using me

tjc13

May 12, 2015
North Canton, OH
I purchased a home with a in ground pool late last summer. I limped through the end of the season with the pool store but wasn't impressed with their help.

I had them open the pool two weeks ago and found out they just dump in 4 bottles of shock, a bottle of algecide, and 2 bottles of pool magnet plus (metal inhibitor) without testing anything. This was the last straw!

I purchased the TF-100 test kit. I am hesitant to raise the CYA too high becase I am not sure of the effect of my SWG run time and Free Chlorine. The pool store recommended running the pump 12 hours but I think thats where last years high chlorine issues stemmed from. I also have an auto cover and little kids so the pool is covered unless we are using it.

FC 4.5 (After 1 week of not running the SWG)
CC .5
PH 7.2
CH 150
TA 120
CYA 40
Salt 2600

I'm concerned that my chlorine will go too high since I have my pool covered most of the time. If this happens and I have the higher CYA level for the SWG, it takes a long time for the FC level to drop. What's the purpose of the higher CYA level with the SWG?

Are there any short cuts to figuring out the optimal pump run time?

Yep, you can work with those just fine. No shortcuts really, but one thing you need to watch is CC as well as FC when covered a lot. You can always leave the pool open some during the day. It won't take that long to help regulate the FC and CC.

Salt is a little low, TA is a little high. But neither one requires immediate action.

I would try running the pump 4 hours a day, see what happens, and continue adjusting from there.

With the pool mostly covered, your chlorine demand very much depends on how much the pool gets used. That can cause problems with FC level management regardless of what the CYA level is. If the amount the pool gets used varies significantly from week to week, you will have to test FC and adjust the SWG frequently.

Higher CYA levels allow the SWG to last longer. They are also more forgiving of FC level variations, as the FC level can get far higher when CYA is high before there is a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.