Someone screwed up but who?

QingGuy

Silver Supporter
Mar 22, 2015
Las Vegas NV
Everyone has commented on how large our two planter areas, most asking why we're doing two spas. So I looked closely at the plans and the plan calls for 2 18" raised planters 5' Outside Diameter. I just measured and I'm at 8' and 8'6"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder they look huge, one is 42.5% the other 59% too big!!!!!! I'm ******. So which sub's fault would this be? I'm honestly shocked that the shotcrete guys didn't pick-up on it, I saw him with his tape measure measuring as he was forming them. Un-freaking real!

The pool contractor is ultimately responsible. He hired the subs. Its his problem to solve if that's whats in the contract.
Looks like I'm the responsible one then.

That said, I'm trying to figure out which sub made the actual mistake, I'm thinking excavator because he's the one who laid it out and drew out planters, put up the stakes and board. That said, neither my wife or I thought that part seemed overly big, shotcrete went on the outside of what he laid out, ugh.

Unreal, two spas LMAO!!!!!!!! Wife and I measured everything except these, ****. Pool looks like the **** Death Star.

What on earth will we plant in there . . .

I just ment you didnt have to figure out who to blame if a sub of the contactor you hired did it. But if you were the contractor then obviously the sub who messed up is at fault. They have to fix it how you contracted it. If they were giving detailed drawings as to how you wanted it then they need to fix it. If you just told them then that coukd be tricky.

That's great! I think raised sitting areas would be awesome!

You could always hire a 3 piece band to play on one with the back-up dancers on the other! Give us a little time and we can come up with lots of great options. Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fortunately both your pool and yard are large enough that these fit the scale and do not look out of place. I think you can make these work into your original plans as planters. My main suggestion is that you take some time and resolve this with reason and rationale and without the emotion you are currently expressing. What's done is done. Don't snag the first plausible correction so you can simply put this behind you. Correcting this ranges from ripping them out and building to original specs ($$$$$) or finishing them as is ($$). You may not be garden people but I'm sure many options will fit that too. Just looking at your neighbors palms makes me think dwarf palms or something similar. A trip around the web can offer many great suggestions. Take a deep breath or two and move forward. BTW, your pool looks great.

I agree with Marco. The first thing that popped into my head was palm trees. I'm not sure a smaller planter would have supported them. I think it looks great!

Just spoke with my designer and she explained to me how it happened, "The excavator didn't read the notes I have written on the excavation plan. It tells how the triangulation radius is NOT the same as the inside planter radius and that the planter radius is a 3" radius." This is on the plans clear as day.

That's great! I think raised sitting areas would be awesome!

You could always hire a 3 piece band to play on one with the back-up dancers on the other! Give us a little time and we can come up with lots of great options. Suz.
Neighbor said they would be perfect platforms for go go dancers for my pool parties. Unreal, still cannot believe this happened, and we were so careful to measure EVERYTHING except these. Even one of the companies who came out and quoted got in the pool measured sides etc, didn't look at the planters. I remember the steel guy kept going back and looking at the plans, then back to the planter, then back to the plans. Why didn't he say something, he obviously had to put more steel in it so you would have thought he would have told me the change required more steel = more money.

Wow.

I love it to tell you the truth. I see a fire pit in one and a nice fountain in the other. Fire and water!

What are you going to face them with? They could be quite the centerpiece of your pool!
Tile on left is going on planters. Just added 27 additional sq ft, ugh!

It must be a shock to learn they truly are much larger than planned.

I have to say I'M surprised they were NOT supposed to be this size. I also agree with Marco; they fit to scale.

On my build thread, I wrote all over the place how our Gunite shell looked like a Klingon battle ship. Since you're comparing your gunite shell to a Death Star, I totally get that. Our reactions to our shells seem to be similar.

So here's my point... Now that the tile and stone work has begun, it is quickly losing the Klingon look. The places that have tile and stone no longer look grotesquely imposing. The only area that still overwhelms me is the spa, and it doesn't have the stonework yet.

I am surprised how different it's looking. I was trying hard to become fond of my ugly, little Klingon ship. And once I have a negative vision of something, it's hard to erase that from my mind. You know, like SNL's refrigerator man bent over ("by cracky"). Never have lost that visual!

But the pool is different! That Klingon visual IS melting away. So select tile and stonework you love, and I think you'll be surprised.

I'm sorry I gave that flip suggestion of the band and back-up dancers. I was just trying to lighten up the mood a little. My earnest thinking is that there are some great suggestions made on this thread. I like the fire and water idea. I also like the idea of some type of palm trees. Even if you aren't plant people, those take care of themselves. What suits you guys more? What will you look out on and smile? The excitement of fire and water? Or the other natural spectrum of plants? For me, I like a softer look of plumeria. Those are the heavenly scented smallish trees in Hawaii that bloom with the flowers used in the lei garlands. They also take care of themselves and shed little debris by pools. Around the resort pools in Hawaii they cluster palms, plumerias, and all sorts of hardy tropical plants right next to their pools. I'll check online and see what does well in your area. And... with all the creative brain power on TFP, there are probably more ideas that will strike your fancy.

Tearing them out would not be an option in my mind. To my way of thinking, no one caught the mistake because the planters did not look out of proportion. And, my philosophy is that mistakes usually happen for the best. The "universe" wanted you guys to have these planters just this size! Like you said, everything else was checked and double checked!

I know just because Suz and others tell you to like it, doesn't mean you will. I know my thinking didn't instantly change. But hearing what everyone here had to say about my gunite shell did help me to trust they knew what they were talking about, and that even a Klingon can be beautiful. I'm learning THAT in addition to learning about pumps and pool cleaners!!

I'll try to post a before-tile photo and after-tile photo. Maybe you'll see what I'm talking about. One more thing..... I do NOT see a Death Star when I look at your pool. To me it's so elegant with the loveliest of lines. Take care! Suz.

This first photo is the Klingon Battle Ship after gunite.

Now, the columns with split face and the travertine caps as of this morning. A little softer looking, right?

And still from this morning, but the spa doesn't have the split face yet. To me the spa is still imposing. Well, maybe I'm deluding myself that it's all looking better, but whatever works! And imagine how stark mine would look without the plants I have left. You have virtually no plants around giving yours an 'other worldly' look right now before any landscaping. I hope this helps. Suz.

PERSPECTIVE (cross posted)

So this has been totally stressing me out, didn't sleep last night, I've been ******, ranted, contacted my attorney etc. As I walked to my Capresso coffee maker this morning (unbelievably over priced coffee maker that does make great coffee, relevant based on what I'm about to write) as it's making my coffee with it's perfect grinding of fresh beans, perfect temp of reverse osmosis system treated water, perfect creama I go to my fully stocked fridge to get some creamer all the while fuming, angry, upset, frustrated etc.; I go to open my fridge door and I see a picture of a little girl who lives in Bolivia that lets say we're involved with. She's looking back at me smiling in front of the dirt floor shack she lives in, lives in extreme poverty, basically has nothing and I'm *****ing because my pool planters are too large. How disgusting am I huh?

Time to make lemonade out of these lemons, no more complaining.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.