Someone screwed up but who?

I've been doing some reading and unfortunately I think tearing that end out and re-doing it could create several other issues so I might have to live with it.

The shallow end has two stairs going into it that are both 12" deep so at least it won't look as narrow as it is but in terms of usable space it's still just over 9'. Thank god we removed that tanning ledge, however, had it been done properly and not pushed in 18" on that side I may not have removed the tanning ledge. What a total bonehead . . .

so, what did the excavator say when he came over? is he planning on trying to help rectify to some degree? i have to say that now u r stuck with it and will probably try to think of the positives, i think it looks great. if they r planters, though, r there holes in them so that the plants can drain? u'd need good drainage. i love plants, though, and the more the better for me. i'm planting a banana tree near my pool. those planters seem to be a great size for bananas and maybe room for something else, too. u have a little bit of room to do layering possibly in those areas. if u have a tropical tree place in NV check them out to get some stats or u can check out tropical mango nursery here for good info on what plants can grow in phx. if they can grow well here, full sun, they can grow there i'm sure.

what r u planning on using your pool for? swimming, lounging...?

Excavator was a no show. After speaking with several professionals outside of demoing the area and starting over there's not much we can do.

Lobbing a follow-up call to my attorney tomorrow to get his thoughts and maybe have him fire off a letter to the contractor demanding some sort of compensation. Then I'm going to call the State Contractors Board and file a formal compliant (State of Nevada is great in dealing with contractors). Next step is to put it behind me, too much negative energy, it is what it is, nothing I can do it.

Had a landscaper out here today who had some pretty cool ideas to turn the gun turrets into some kick *** planters that will make that area stand out. Guy actually told me do you have any idea how many of my clients would die to have a yard that would support something like this (see, things could be worse).

Structural engineer is running some calculations based on how they were constructed to see what we can put in there tree wise and then we'll be on our way. Lemonade baby . . .

The good news is for our area it was a good size pool to begin with, we eliminated the 2nd tanning ledge so that bought us back way more than what we lost, I also ditched a 4th step in that area so that bought me back some space too so I need to not worry about it since there's not a **** thing I can do about it.

It was funny, my designer actually told me, if you had any idea how many times things like this happen when pool companies are building pools and the owners never no. She said the only reason I noticed it was because they're so **** obvious but also I'm the builder so I'm paying closer attention to the details vs thinking the pool builder has his eye on these details, which she says most don't.

Wife and I will use pool for swimming, thus the 38' swim-able length, otherwise we'll use it for lounging around, having parties around it and in it. We do a lot of entertaining and I do a lot of bbqing/smoking so it will really be the centerpiece for our outdoor living. Something a neighbor pointed out is a lot of people sit on the outside of his spa using it for seating, we just doubled our seating area with these LOL.

Anyway, life could be worse, two phone calls tomorrow and if my attorney wants to take it further it's on him and after my call to the contractors board I'm done with it.

let us know what comes of the call to the lawyer! glad to hear u r coming closer to a resolution. i can't believe it's still bothering me that i feel like i made my pool too big and am jipping the look i wanted of a lap pool and wasting more yard space. who would've thought. but that's my fault, not something that someone did to me, like in your case, so it's not as bad. in the end we'll all be happy with the end products I'm sure! will be good to be swimming this summer! i think many people have a list of a few things they would've done differently.

let us know what comes of the call to the lawyer! glad to hear u r coming closer to a resolution.
Had an early morning call with my attorney. Bottom line is he doesn't think there's much we can do, guys got a $10,000 bond. However, my attorney doesn't think we should drop it. His point is, what's to stop this guy from making similar mistakes (or greater) in the future. There are a couple of other things about him that I haven't shared on this board, e.g. at the completion of his project he didn't dig the footing holes on my plans. Unfortunately I was out of town and wife didn't push him on these. When I returned I called him on it and he told me he didn't have the right size equipment for it, I told him I paid him to do them so go rent the equipment. He then said that his bid was only for the pool; even though the excavation plans were clear what was involved in excavation and we had discussed these on no less than two occasions. At the time I was unaware of the issue at hand so I decided not to worry about it, I could get the decking guys to dig them, my pool was dug so I didn't sweat it. Then while I was traveling I found out he didn't dig one of the skimmers. Then when the steel guy was there I found out he didn't dig one of the lights. Last two are minor, plumber dug out the skimmer and steel guy the lights (btw both plumber and steel guy told me this happens all the time with various excavators). My attorney's point is he wants to make this sting a little so he thinks twice about doing this to someone else.

In terms of what kind of a case we have and what would come of it my attorney said he thinks we have a pretty good one, just won't get a lot of money (which I really don't care about). So what I told my attorney was to fire off the letter and see what happens. If he doesn't issue refund then we file a case. He'll have to retain legal counsel and that will cost probably equal or more to what I paid him. My legal fees with the exception of filing fees etc. are gratis so pursuing this won't cost me, however it will cost him. Once we figure he's paid out enough, we can reconsider pursing any further or dropping it.

I'm also contacting the contractors board this morning and making a report. This can create bigger issues for him in terms of licensing etc. I'll also be posting a review on Yelp, Google and Yellow pages so hopefully anyone who does research will see my review. After these steps I'm done with it and my attorney will handle all the negative energy associated with it.

PS What's sad is even after the early BS I still recommended this guy to two people who used him. I was however careful to point out the concerns and both people managed him correctly and he delivered on everything and didn't "forget" to dig anything. Both are very satisfied, however, the did have to manage him.

At least 10+ people have reached out to me through this forum, Nextdoor or City Data regarding my build and my subs, many who are planning on doing their builds during the slow season when these guys need work, I've reached out to every one and told them I can no longer recommend, and in-fact run! I'm sure as I post pictures of my final project more people will ask, who knows how many referrals I could have given the guy. Sad when you think about it.

You say you do a lot of entertaining, how about putting a canopy over one of the "planters" and make it into a swim up bar area, maybe even mount a big flat panel TV under it?

You could always plumb some gas and build some half round benches behind them. Convert into kickazz (this place censors ***? lol) firepit's.

I'm not sure if it's too late but what about putting some sort of water feature built into them like a sheer? Or make them so they're overflowing?

Actually we've had several people mention all of the above and more. At this point we just want to be done with it. Had a landscaper out yesterday who had some good ideas (and he wants to do owner builder pool so I have him information), I think we'll have some decent lemonade when all is said and done. Just wish things would have gone according to plan, but they didn't so got to move on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PERSPECTIVE (cross posted)

So this has been totally stressing me out, didn't sleep last night, I've been ******, ranted, contacted my attorney etc. As I walked to my Capresso coffee maker this morning (unbelievably over priced coffee maker that does make great coffee, relevant based on what I'm about to write) as it's making my coffee with it's perfect grinding of fresh beans, perfect temp of reverse osmosis system treated water, perfect creama I go to my fully stocked fridge to get some creamer all the while fuming, angry, upset, frustrated etc.; I go to open my fridge door and I see a picture of a little girl who lives in Bolivia that lets say we're involved with. She's looking back at me smiling in front of the dirt floor shack she lives in, lives in extreme poverty, basically has nothing and I'm *****ing because my pool planters are too large. How disgusting am I huh?

Time to make lemonade out of these lemons, no more complaining.

AWESOME post

Had an early morning call with my attorney. Bottom line is he doesn't think there's much we can do, guys got a $10,000 bond. However, my attorney doesn't think we should drop it. His point is, what's to stop this guy from making similar mistakes (or greater) in the future. There are a couple of other things about him that I haven't shared on this board, e.g. at the completion of his project he didn't dig the footing holes on my plans. Unfortunately I was out of town and wife didn't push him on these. When I returned I called him on it and he told me he didn't have the right size equipment for it, I told him I paid him to do them so go rent the equipment. He then said that his bid was only for the pool; even though the excavation plans were clear what was involved in excavation and we had discussed these on no less than two occasions. At the time I was unaware of the issue at hand so I decided not to worry about it, I could get the decking guys to dig them, my pool was dug so I didn't sweat it. Then while I was traveling I found out he didn't dig one of the skimmers. Then when the steel guy was there I found out he didn't dig one of the lights. Last two are minor, plumber dug out the skimmer and steel guy the lights (btw both plumber and steel guy told me this happens all the time with various excavators). My attorney's point is he wants to make this sting a little so he thinks twice about doing this to someone else.

In terms of what kind of a case we have and what would come of it my attorney said he thinks we have a pretty good one, just won't get a lot of money (which I really don't care about). So what I told my attorney was to fire off the letter and see what happens. If he doesn't issue refund then we file a case. He'll have to retain legal counsel and that will cost probably equal or more to what I paid him. My legal fees with the exception of filing fees etc. are gratis so pursuing this won't cost me, however it will cost him. Once we figure he's paid out enough, we can reconsider pursing any further or dropping it.

I'm also contacting the contractors board this morning and making a report. This can create bigger issues for him in terms of licensing etc. I'll also be posting a review on Yelp, Google and Yellow pages so hopefully anyone who does research will see my review. After these steps I'm done with it and my attorney will handle all the negative energy associated with it.

PS What's sad is even after the early BS I still recommended this guy to two people who used him. I was however careful to point out the concerns and both people managed him correctly and he delivered on everything and didn't "forget" to dig anything. Both are very satisfied, however, the did have to manage him.

At least 10+ people have reached out to me through this forum, Nextdoor or City Data regarding my build and my subs, many who are planning on doing their builds during the slow season when these guys need work, I've reached out to every one and told them I can no longer recommend, and in-fact run! I'm sure as I post pictures of my final project more people will ask, who knows how many referrals I could have given the guy. Sad when you think about it.

Haha! As a business owner myself, I do not mess around when someone threatens legal action. I take integrity very seriously, I don't ever screw people over, but even with that said, when the threat of legal action comes before me, I usually will concede whatever is being asked (within reason), even knowing that I did nothing wrong and being taken advantage of (not that you are taking advantage of him of course).

It's just not worth the hassle and expense of dealing with the legal system and your post is spot on as to the reasons why he should have made things right.

Teach him a lesson. If anything, he needs to learn that he can be held accountable by law, and it's nothing to take lightly. I'm actually surprised that he hasn't made things right, have you threatened him with the legal action yet? I didn't read your prior posts to see if you happened to mention it to him?

Yes, Palm trees! Your planters will look great! Our last pool had a huge planter to match the spa. I tried to upload the picture to show you but it keeps telling me I exceed the quota (even tho I've only posted 3 photos to this site). Btw, how are you able to post so many pics if there is a limit?

Thanks! It was an awesome pool that took 8 months. Then of course we decided to move and we just finished a beach entry pool last month. So I think those 2 big planters will look fine if you get the right trees and flowers in there QGuy. Great seating on all sides too!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.