Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bad DE fingers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bad DE fingers?

We've been having an enormous amount of trouble with our DE filter since we got our house. We're in our third season and the last two we have limped through but this year the pool is beating us! Our filter is old. It's an Anthony Apollo VA38. It has 6 filter fingers. We constantly have blowback and have to open the tank and clean and reassemble the fingers. This year as soon as we start the filter, the pressure rises to 20psi almost immediately and the whole assemble pops up off of the feed tube. My theory is that I'm not getting good flow thru the fabric. Can these be restored with the filter cleaner or is it likely that I need to replace the fingers? When the water is not run thru the filters, the pressure ramains at 10psi, which eliminates up or downstream blockage or breather tube malfunction. What say you?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bad DE fingers?

Hi, welcome to TFP!
    Soak the fingers in a solution of powdered dishwasher detergent and water overnight. Use 1 cup of detergent to every 5 gallons of water. After soaking rinse well and reassemble the filter and recharge with DE.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, glad to be here, we need wisdom and advice! I was hoping a cleaning would do it, we will certainly start there. Thank you

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't know about your filter, but the hayward style fingers also need an acid bath from time to time to break down CH buildup. I use a 50 gallon rubermaid trashcan to do mine, in fact I did it yesterday, used about a pint of muriatic acid to about 30 gallons of water and soaked overnight.

P.S. Where is Huntersville? It helps for us to know the state so we know the climate
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Sure, it's NC, in the Charlotte area. I have been trying to fix my profile but it gives me pushback because I'm on the phone. I'll have to attack it with the laptop