Need Help Against Pool Stores w/Cloudy Pool

May 23, 2015
San Diego
My family has an 18' diameter 4' tall above ground Intex Pool. We opened it up about a month ago and started the attempt to clean the green science experiment we found underneath. We successfully changed the color back to blue but there is a thick cloud of white particles throughout the pool preventing us from seeing the bottom. We have tried several pool store "easy" solutions (or at least that is what they told us). We have unsuccessfully used several coagulants, shock treatments, and many gallons of chlorine before we were told our CYA is too low for the pool to hold any Chlorine (we have just recently raised it up)... Needless to say, my family is fed up with the pool stores so I searched for some online help and found this website. From what I have read on this site, it seems we need to SLAM (http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl) our pool; but just to be safe, I wanted to see if anyone had some other ideas in case our situation called for something different. Thank you so much to anyone who takes the time to help us out; my family greatly appreciates any effort in helping the family pool getting up and running again. Below are some details about our pool, hopefully that helps in your diagnosis:
FC: 0 TC: 0
CH: 420 CYA: 70
TA: 90 pH: 7.8
Copper: 0 Iron: 0
TDS: 2200 Pho: 20
Vinyl 7,617Gal Intex above Ground w/a Sand Filter (http://www.amazon.com/Intex-000-Gallon-Filter-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B002V1H11W)

No, a SLAM is called for. But, with the CYA level they have taken you to (if their testing is correct) will take a lot of chlorine.

If you don't have one, you need one of our recommended test kits so you can cut ties with them.

What knd of shock were you using?

If somethig. Is growing in the water, you need to,get chlorine in there soon. Stay away from solid forms as they cause other issues.

Welcome to TFP! I too was in your situation until I found TFP and have followed their methods and guidelines exactly including buying my TF 100. Now as you can see in my avatar, my pool it beautiful. There is also a link to my SLAM process in my signature if you want to look through it.

Welcome To TFP! I've got a similar pool to yours. :)

I think if you're hanging out here reading that you've probably already started to see what is going on with the wonderful "help" you have gotten from the pool store.

They sure do love to sell people a bunch of stuff to throw in their pools and then more stuff after the first stuff doesn't work!

At TFP we're all about knowing what is going on with our pools and the way we know is by doing our own testing. That is why we always ask people for their test results! It's very important to have some accurate numbers so that we/you can add (or remove) the right amounts of the right things. :)

Here's the deal....The testing from the pool stores is about as good as their advice. It's usually all over the place and just can't be trusted.

A good test kit will be your new best friend. (Along with TFP!!) We can help you get your pool under control and you'll learn how to keep it that way! It's actually pretty easy but it starts with a good test kit. (BTW, you can't properly SLAM without one!)

Here's a link to show the kits that have all the necessary "stuff" so we can help you get your pool back! http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison

If you look around the forum you'll see most of us will recommend the TF-100 kit from tftestkits.net. It's got more of some of the testing supplies that you'll need especially with a green pool. (Other kits will come with less which means you'll need to order some refills pretty soon.)

Welcome again! We love helping people to get their pools sparkly clear! :)

If (and that is a BIG IF) those numbers are right, I suspect you are going to need to start with a 40-50% water drain to get your CYA down to a tolerable level. The CYA buildup is likely due to powdered stabilized chlorine shock the pool store sold you.

We have been using Genesis Shock (http://www.lesliespool.com/leslies-genesis-shock-tri-chlor-shock-multipacks/genesis-shock.htm) and my dad just put 2 more bags in the pool about an hour ago.

The TF-100 Test Kit seems to be the most ideal since it lets you test the most so I will probably order that soon.

That kind of sucks about the CYA they gave us... Is there any way to reduce that or are we just going to have to deal with it? I saw this chart and assume I will be using it for shock levels (http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock).

Thank you again for all of your replies and all the welcome greetings! It for sure seems like a different environment than the pool stores.

That is a Trichlor based shock, for every 10 ppm FC it raises CYA by 6 ppm

Water replacement is the only practical method, there is also reverse osmosis treatment which is only available in a few places, and tends to be expensive, and a new reducing product that just came out, but results are very spotty and underwheleming to say the least. This is why we preach ONLY using bleach / liquid chlorine for the SLAM process and regular chlorination for most people.

Sounds to me that what you have floating in the water is suspended algae that has been killed by the shock. What is needed now is what they call a flock, it making it drop to the pool bottom. You then vacuum it out afterwards.

Saying that, I know lots here are against that, but just saying...........

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.