Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First test on new pool

1. Back To Top    #1

First test on new pool

I finally got my tf100 kit and here are my results... So far the pool has been crystal clear...

FC 5
    CC 0
    TC 5
    CH 475
    TA 150
    CYA 80
    PH 7.2

I added some liquid bleach after the test to increase the FC since the CYA is a bit high. Another thing I don't like is the CH level so I will no longer be using cal-hypo and stick strictly with bleach.

Anything else I should worry about?
    25,000, IG, Plaster, Hayward DE Filter, Jandy Pool Pump, 2011 install, No SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: First test on new pool

Congrats on your test! Your numbers look great. Glad you added bleach to bring your FC up for your CYA level. Your PH will work its way up, but is fine where it is. Once it rises you can start lowering your TA, but not an emergency right now. Happy your pool is crystal clear too!

- - - Updated - - -

My CH for my fill water is 550, have you tested your fill water?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have a saltwater pool? If yes, please update your sig.

Numbers look good, you've got it down pretty well!

CH will work its way down through splash out and overflow if your fill water has lower CH.

TA is a little high, which usually means your PH will tend to rise faster. Test PH regularly and lower it with muriatic acid to 7.2 when it gets to 7.8. This will slowly lower your TA. If you get tired of rising PH and want to work on lowering your TA more actively here is how, Lowering Total Alkalinity.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I read your post again and I don't think you have SWG, just high CYA. It is ok to have high CYA but you have to maintain higher chlorine levels. Use the Chlorine CYA Chart to determine the minimum FC level and don't let the level drop below that or algae will start to grow. I would keep FC at or slightly above target. If you plan to do lots of swimming then raise it even higher, +5 or so. It is safe to swim as long as FC is below shock level for your CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

And since I'm here filling up your thread here is some more.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I agree with pooldv. Unless you are running SWG, your CYA is a little high...........Particularly in your Climate

I would suggest your CYA around 40-50 ppm and an FC level of 3-4 ppm as an ideal sweet spot.

That said, if you are accustomed to running 80 ppm and understand that you will need a ton of chlorine should you ever have to SLAM the pool, you can leave it right where it is......it seems to be working for you.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
    25,000, IG, Plaster, Hayward DE Filter, Jandy Pool Pump, 2011 install, No SWG