Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Energy Efficient Pump Recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

Energy Efficient Pump Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by karmabiker View Post
    Do keep in mind that the only way to get the super efficient 2speed is to do a motor only replacement. They aren't offered as complete pump units (to the best of my knowledge).
    Chris
    Hey Chris!

Great point! My 8 year old Intelliflo VF ((011012) LCD Control Panel went blank about a year ago so I have been flying blind on manual. I have a built-in leaky Caretaker head so ran it at low speed anyway to avoid the Caretaker energy use. Yesterday, I was trying to get the pump started as their was power to it and there was a loud pop and now it is dead with no power.

Seems the drive assembly blew and that part is over $600 so I was wondering if I could still get a 2 speed motor replacement and circumvent the electronics module? Attached a few pics of my configuration. Thx.
    Last edited by BoDarville; 05-23-2015 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Removed references to old thread
    14' X 28' Gunite Pool. Constructed 1990, 12k Gallons. Single Drain with Built-In Caretaker System.Pentair IntelliFlo VF Pump (011012, Installed 2006). Pentair Quad DE Filter 80(Installed 2007). Both run year round in FL.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Energy Efficient Pump Recommendation

Don't know about the 2 speed motor, but how close in the back of the motor to the wall? The fan on the back of the motor needs to pull air over the motor to keep it cool. Don't want to overheat your new motor.
    30,000 gal inground (20 ft. x 40 ft. w/ deep end), vinyl liner, Pentair Clear & Clear 420 cartridge filter, single speed 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump, heat pump, SunTouch controller

3. Back To Top    #3

The IntelliFlo wet end is exactly the same as a 3 HP WhisperFlo, so you can replace the motor with the kind of motor use on a WhisperFlo if you want to. If you go that route, you will want to change the impeller to something smaller at the same time you change the motor, as a 3 HP two speed is rather too large in almost every case.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    The IntelliFlo wet end is exactly the same as a 3 HP WhisperFlo, so you can replace the motor with the kind of motor use on a WhisperFlo if you want to. If you go that route, you will want to change the impeller to something smaller at the same time you change the motor, as a 3 HP two speed is rather too large in almost every case.
    Thanks! Will keep that in mind.
    14' X 28' Gunite Pool. Constructed 1990, 12k Gallons. Single Drain with Built-In Caretaker System.Pentair IntelliFlo VF Pump (011012, Installed 2006). Pentair Quad DE Filter 80(Installed 2007). Both run year round in FL.