First time pool owner. Just turned on pump today!! Need advice

Apr 29, 2015
Wheatfield, IN
Just finished hooking up the plumbing and finished the wiring, turned on the pump to get things circulating. Now it is time for salt/ chemicals. I have a Hayward AuqauRite with a t-15 cell. The pool is 16000 gallons and is full of well water.

the he pool calculator says

428 lbs of salt. Do I just dump this in and stir it up?

Do I need to add borate and baking soda also...???

When should I turn on my salt generator

thanks

Hi just dump the salt in. I equally spread out the bags around the premieter and then just start dumping it in.
Have your pump running and stir it up with your broom until it all dissolves. Run the pump for 24 hrs and then turn on the SWG.

You may not need borax or baking soda. It just depends on what your water needs and the only way to know that is to test it.

You Are going to need Stabilizer (a.k.a. CYA) walmart is the best price to get
You will eventually need muriatic acid. Try the hardware store in the paint section. Get a gallon.

Do you have a good test kit so you can test your water?
If not, I recommend any of the kits listed at tf test kits website. A link to it is in my signature...aw heck! Im not that lazy. Here you go. www.tftestkits.net the TF 100 is the best bang for the buck.

Do you know what the water parameters are supposed to be to keep your pool troublefree? If not, here is a link to recommended levels.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

Have you played around with pool math yet? Its a handy tool to help determine how much of something to add to the water.
At top left, enter your pool volume
in boxes on teh left, enter the test result from your water test
in the box to the right, enter your target, or recommended level, and click Calculate. And viola! It tells you what to add.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

To learn about the water parameters and what stuff does, click on teh Pool School button at the top of the page and start with ABC's of pool chemistry. Dont be afraid to ask any questions you might have, we are here to help!

test strips tend to be very inaccurate and so its hard to know whats up with them and there is no way to know how far off they might be.
as another temporary hold over, you can get a cheap chlorine / pH test kit at walmart for about 7$. Its somewhat accurate enough to keep you from getting algae. Much more so than the test strips are.

For right now, the main thing is your pH and chlorine. Dont worry about testing for anything else till your kit shows up.
if you PH is above 8, you will need to use Muriatic acid to bring it down.
If ph is below 7.2, you generally use Soda Ash or Borax to raise it.

Your Stabilizer is 0. It is not a naturally occuring chemical in any source of water.
If I were you, I would go ahead and add 4 lbs of Stabilier to the pool. That will help with the sun burning off chlorine. Otherwise you have to run the SWG too much.
In a 16K gallon pool, 4 lbs of stabilizer will put you at about 30ppm. This will do fine until you get a test kit.

your SWG isnt intended to add a lot of chlorine quickly, which you need to do in fairly short order. Recommend to use Bleach to initially raise your FC to 3 after you've added the stabilizer.
in 16K gallon pool, about 1/2 gallon of 8.25 concentrated regular plain old bleach will put you right about 3 ppm chlorine.

To add bleach, have pump running and then pour it slowly in front of a return.

To add stabilizer, pour it into an old sock and tie the end of the sock closed. Then put it in the skimmer. Give it a squeeze now and then to help it dissolve. Its rather slow.
repeat until all of 4 lbs has been dissolved.

Here is another article you need to get familiar with rather quickly. The SWG only makes chlorine when pump is running, so you have balance out the pump run time needed to keep your pool clean, usually 4 hrs is long enough for that, but you may need longer run time so the SWG will make the proper amount of chlorine. Its will take you a while of adjusting run time and SWG percentage output and testing the FC in order to finally get it all worked out. Just one more reason you need that good test kit. You have to have accuracy, or you will end up in trouble.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/152-determine-pump-run-time

Stabilizer is a chemical which is added to water to stabilize the chlorine. Without it, the sun will burn off the chlorine almost as quick as you add it.
The scientific name of Stabilizer is Cyanauric Acid .. you will see it referred to on TFP more commonly as CYA.

pH is the acidic condition of all water. pH above 8 is considered to be alkalytic. pH below 7 is considered to be acidic. Neither of them are good. You need your pH to be somewhere in between. Use Muriatic acid (MA) to lower your pH. It does not take much muriatic to make a large adjustment, you dont want to go too low and end up yoyoing up and down.

Add the 1/2 gallon of bleach first. Let it mix for 30 minutes.
Then add enough MA to get our pH to 7.5. Use Pool Math to determine how much to add.
Pour teh acid slowly in front of a return. Let mix for 30 minutes, then test it again. As long as you are within 7.2 to 7.8 you're good.

You will want to test pH every day.
You will want to test chlorine every day. Keep records of your results as it will give you a good idea of your pools 'personality'.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Walmart has switched to all Clorox brand pool chemicals. I bought two jugs yesterday. ~$13/4lb jug. They were actually out on the shelf. Found it on a pallet outside.
99cd0278ae277cb440a0b1fbfe3b0d6f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.