Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: On the right chemical track?

1. Back To Top    #1

On the right chemical track?

Hello - Pool was replastered in January so still dealing with adding 16-20oz of acid every other day. But my question is regarding CYA and FC.

Here are my numbers today, testing at about 3pm:
    PH - 8.0
    TA - 70
    FC - 3.5
    CC - 0
    CYA - 55
    CH - 425
    Salt - 2900 (output set to 70).
    Water Temp - 81 degrees
    Saturation Index - between 0.5 and 0.6

I added my 20oz of acid for today but am think it's time to raise the FC and CYA for swimming season. Pool math says to add 34oz of stabilizer. If I raise my CYA will it help my SWG raise my FC level or should I also raise the FC a little with some bleach?

Also, my SWG guide recommends levels between 2700 - 3400 so should I raise my level a little to 3000? Pool math says that would be 14lbs of salt.

Thanks!
    17,000 gallon inground pool; Plaster redone January 2015; Pentair Cartridge Filter; SWG; Age of pool unknown (house built in 1973); Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.; Doheny Discovery robot cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: On the right chemical track?

Ou shouldn't let you pH rise that high, so stay closer on it, and keep it below 7.8.

I would raise both the salt, and Cya up a little. More Cya will reduce some Chlorine loss from the Sun if you get a lot on the pool all day.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! How about timing? Can I add salt, CYA, and acid on the same day? A couple hours apart?
    17,000 gallon inground pool; Plaster redone January 2015; Pentair Cartridge Filter; SWG; Age of pool unknown (house built in 1973); Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.; Doheny Discovery robot cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Lisa,
    go ahead and do your pH first and wait 30 minutes.

Doesnt matter which of the others you add first, and you can do one immediately after the other.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!