Return to keeping pressure.

Hlk82

May 23, 2015
Amesville, ohio
Hi! New here. edit...sorry, my title is wrong, that was supposed to say return NOT keeping pressure!

We we opened our pool last week. The pool people actually came and did it for us, as this is our first year to open the pool and we wanted to see what we needed to do. Anyway, several hours after they left, I checked on the pool and noticed the return was hardly pushing out any water. I called the pool people and they told me to check and see if there was air in the lines. I did everything they told me and upon restarting there was pressure again, so I thought the problem was solved. Turns out I was wrong. I went out the next day and again it was hardly circulating. I also noticed that the skimmer wasn't really pulling any water. So I thought maybe I didn't get all the air out of the lines. I did everything again, and again the return had pressure. Anyway, this continued for a few days. I called the pool people again and they told me I needed to backwash the filter. I did so. Same thing happened. I am at a loss as to what might be wrong. I took my water to be tested and followed what needed to be done according to the people who tested it, but at this point it doesn't seem I will ever get my pool clean and clear as I can't keep the water circulating. There is pressure in the filter, as it is at 20psi. There are no air bubbles in the clear lid. The main drain isn't clogged. No cracks anywhere that I can see. At this point if I turn the pump off, let ssome water out of the clear lid part and turn the pump back on, both the return and the skimmer wikk wirk fine. If I go back out in about two hours the water is hardly moving and the return is a sort of trickle and the skimmer isn't drawing any water in. We got our pool last year. It is an above ground. Sand filter.

If any one has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Hi. Sorry, been out all day!

The water is currently a bit cloudy and has some algae in it...it hasn't run enough to clear everything out from winter time.

I talked to the pool people again yesterday. Turns out my husband was not back washing when he thought he was, but was actually using the waste function instead. Haha. Anyway, once we actually back washed it right, the psi went down to 15-16, which is where we were told it should be. It worked great for several hours but when I checked on it this morning it was back up to 20 psi and the return was again not maintaining pressure. So, I backwashed it again. And the same thing happened.

I will have to go back out tomorrow and get all the stats on the filter to update my signature, but I know it is sand, and it is only a year old. We backwashed it today for a good 5 minutes.

I've been reading about SLAMing my pool. I'm wondering if this is what I might need to do. But I have no idea what the CYA level is and don't think I have a tester that tells me that. Is there a place I can buy one online, or would the local pool store have one? Also, it says when SLAMing that the pool needs vacuumed or scrubbed everyday, but what if you can't reach all the areas in your pool? Will that mess up the process?

Sorry for all the questions. I didn't realize it would be this hard to get my pool back up to speed and I realize now we weren't given much information about maintaining water. I'm quite confused at this point!

Ah. Posted at the same time. Ok. Guess I'm going to have to wait to get the tester in the mail before I can do anything then. Kind of frustrating that I was told all I needed to do for the algae was shock the pool and use algaecide by the pool place in town. :mad: Feel like we are never going to get to use the pool at this rate.

One thing every pool owner needs to learn is the pool store is not your friend, they are in business to sell you as many expensive chemicals as possible, not to fix your problems as easily and cheaply as possible. We on the other hand are mostly fellow pool owners and have agenda that involves separating you from your money

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been reading about SLAMing my pool. I'm wondering if this is what I might need to do. But I have no idea what the CYA level is and don't think I have a tester that tells me that. Is there a place I can buy one online, or would the local pool store have one? Also, it says when SLAMing that the pool needs vacuumed or scrubbed everyday, but what if you can't reach all the areas in your pool? Will that mess up the process?

Sorry for all the questions. I didn't realize it would be this hard to get my pool back up to speed and I realize now we weren't given much information about maintaining water. I'm quite confused at this point!

If there is debris in the pool getting it out will make it go faster. Brushing the pool helps kill the algae faster.

Maintaining your water Troublefree Pool style is easy, cleaning up algae in a pool isn't so easy. But, if you do it right and follow TFPC then you will never have to do it again. I am starting my 4th season with Troublefree Pool and I have never shocked or slammed my pool. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.