Opened Pool - Air in Lines and No Pressure at Filter - Help Please

tbird2340

Jun 3, 2014
Youngstown, OH
So I just opened my pool. Have it filled up and trying to get the pump/filter working..

Here's the kicker.. I just added a heater and I just changed my plumbing to all PVC (last year no heater and no PVC)..

I turn my pump on and put the filter on.. The pressure will not get above 0psi.. I feel it coming out of the return ever so slightly.. I left it on for about a minute or two and then shut the pump off and figured I'd ask the experts..

Is it just that my huge filter is filling up with water and that's why? There is a lot of air in the lines too..

I just don't know what to do since many variables have changed since last year.. (heater and PVC plumbing)..

Thanks guys.

OK.. Figures.. I just tried it again and now it's working..

However, it's blowing cloudy water back in the pool so I turned it off.. Pressure is at 18psi.. I've never backwashed because I have this monster filter and never lost pressure or had the need.. Is that what needs done?

Thanks

OK so I turned on the pump for about 20 minutes and the cloudiness seemed to go away.. Before I did so I researched and read it may just be air in the lines which made me think that's what it was..

However, since then it seems like my pool which was crystal clear is now a bit cloudy (can still see the bottom it's just not crystal) and I *think* I see sand on the floor that wasn't there when I opened it..

At this point I'm going to wait for a reply.. :)

Thanks

Did some tests:

FC 4 drops = .8
PH = 7.2
TA 10 drops = 100
CH 19 drops = 76
CYA = Filled to top of container.. Pic below.

1i57gW5.jpg

Ok, Ok, tbird. Let's get a dialogue started.

For now, I will assume your priming problem is solved. That's good. Now, backwash your pool and note your clean psi after backwash. (rinse after backwash)

You have murky water......that's not good. You will need to SLAM your pool.

To get ready for that, calculate (can you use PoolMath) enough CYA to get to 30 ppm.

Once you put that CYA in, you can assume your math was correct and you can start your SLAM based on the CYA of 30 which will mean adding your Chlorine to 12 ppm.

Disregard what chlorine you have put in so far. calculate enough to get your FC to 12. Now you follow the SLAM article in Pool School to the letter

Thanks for the reply..

It's not murky.. I'll take a pic tomorrow as I just put the cover on and it's dark.. I think I just jumped the gun..

1. I think the "cloudy" that was coming out of the return was just air bubbles as that's not happening any more..
2. I think the "sand" that I thought was new, was maybe just from last year..

So what can I assume my CYA is since the picture shown you can still see the black dot and it was all the way to the top..

Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You probably have 0, was the water in the tube cloudy at all? The target level is 30-50. Have you read the sock method? Put the CYA in a sock and put it in a skimmer basket or hang it in front of a pool return with the pump running. Squeeze it several, or more, times per day to speed up the dissolving.

Pool looks good!

So I went to backwash.. Had zero pressure.. Googled it and found a guy on here with the same exact issue.. Plumbed it backwards!! The pump was going to return and the return to pump!! Argh!!

So would that cause the cloudiness? Would it even be filtering?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.