Cracked Lateral

I removed the sand out of my Aquaswim AQ 250 filter this morning to change the sand and found a 3 cracked laterals. Two of these are on the ends where it is slotted but not open all the way through and the other is where it connects to the hub. The one at the hub it closes when it sits on the bottom of the filter. I haven't had any problems with sand coming through but that could be because some of the sand was clumped and had a lot of algae in it around the bottom. The filter is manufactured by Speck Pumps-Pool Products INC out of Jacksonville, FL. I emailed them for a part number or other information. It looks like they have a newer filter out in an AS model but that's all I could find for parts. It's 25 Inches in diameter with 300 lbs of sand. Could I use JB Weld to fix it until I can find replacement parts if available? Here's a link to the AS model.

I'm going to try it and see what happens. It's not a very big crack or hole. I figure if it sets up and cures correctly it may be fine, I'll give an update in a couple of days. If I can get parts, I may go back into it after the season is over and do it the right way.

Yeah, I should have known better but I can be a bit impatient. It held for about 2 days. Backwashed and rinsed this evening and noticed sand in the sight glass, on filter I could feel it and see it in the return. Going to give Speck Pumps a call in the morning. They sent an email back to call to make sure they are getting me the right parts. One question though...Should I be getting flow out of the waste line when on recirculate or is it the spider gasket making it do that?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.