In pool steps with deck

tb582

May 23, 2015
Cherry hill nj
Hi, I have purchased the steps below that are suppose to go in the pool and fasten to the deck and top rail of the pool.

Seems like I have a couple options for the deck and the step install...

1: deck is level with the top edge of the pool yet we leave an inch space between the end of the deck and the beginning of the top rail.

Pros: This allows the cover to be easily installed.
Cons: people step and or put weight on the top rail of the pool vs the deck.

2: deck is an inch or so under the top rail of the pool.

Pros: still allows for the cover to be easily installed
Cons: there's an annoying lip between the top of the deck and the top of the pools top rail.
Need to build the deck up a few inches in order to accommodate fastening the stairs to the deck.

3: deck goes OVER the top rail of the pool.
Pros: all weight is on the deck and not the top rail
Cons: by code I believe the deck joists must run to the end of the deck which means the deck is 8 inches above the pools top rail.

Thoughts? Pics below

35ef27a91517d589ed96d0b056c5087e.jpg
0e4fd7da930e8d8ec04f0d9fb28d6bc3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same type of steps. We made our deck even with the rail and left an inch or so between. Haven't had any problems. I have grandkids from the age of 4-19. They all have stood on the rail and jumped in from time to time.

Deck before railing was put up.
medium.jpg

My deck goes under my top rail and i have never had any issues with my top rail being exposed like it is. My winter cover and wire fit inder the lip so i have no issues with the winter cover either. Either way you describe will work it just up to your preference.
I did hate the way my stair support arm attached to the deck with the space you describe so i came up with an idea and did a write up for everyone and its link is below.
My Wedding Cake support arm fix write up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.