CYA FC confusion

May 18, 2015
pittsburgh pa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Reading in Pool School, ABCs of Pool chemistry, "If you have a SWG or very high levels of direct sunlight, CYA is typically kept between 70 and 80." But when I look at the Chlorine/CYA chart 70 and up have an asterisk and say not recommended.

My pool is in direct sunlight all day long so I'm thinking i want to be in the 70-80 range for CYA, does this sound right? Am I misreading the Chlorine/CYA chart?

Generally the "full sun" folks are in Florida/Texas/Arizona. For PA, even in full sun I would start a little lower and work up if your FC loss during the day is too much. You can always add more, you gotta jump through hoops to get rid of it.

With the SWG you should probably maintain the higher CYA. It allows you to not have to run your cell as much to maintain the needed chlorine in your pool. This allows a longer cell life.

To clarify, I'm not using SWG. it was part of of piece i copied and pasted.

I'm in PA, my pool is in direct sun all day long, and I'm trying to determine what CYA level to use. Still waiting for my Taylor K-2006 to come, but I've been using pucks for about 4 years or so, so I'm thinking it will be on the high side. Now I'm just reading everything and trying to understand.

I missed that. Tim is correct then you don't want to maintain the higher CYA. The SWG instruction difference is in my last post. Yes it requires a higher level of chlorine with higher CYA but it helps extend the life hours on the salt cell. That's why the different maintenance instructions for SWG that you see in pool

To clarify, I'm not using SWG. it was part of of piece i copied and pasted.

I'm in PA, my pool is in direct sun all day long, and I'm trying to determine what CYA level to use. Still waiting for my Taylor K-2006 to come, but I've been using pucks for about 4 years or so, so I'm thinking it will be on the high side. Now I'm just reading everything and trying to understand.
if you test and are already on the high side and do not have an algae issue to deal with then you can stick with the higher CYA and jut chlorinate accordingly.

Now, if your CYA is lower, say 50 stick there until it's proven you need extra CYA.

If you want a CYA number to shoot for, I'd start with 30-40 and see how it goes. Like was said, easy to add more, harder to lower! ;)

I get a fail for thoroughly reading today.

Definately post test test kit results when you get that. Your CYA could indeed be high under those conditions.

What does the pool water look like?

Even in normally "full-sun" TX, I manage CYA on the low side. As others have stated, it's much easier to add more than it is to get rid of it. Plus, I always leave a little room for vacations where I may have to use trichlor pucks temporarily.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey 21 footer, I'm in Pittsburgh too (South Hills)! After getting pool stored for the last two years, I'm draining/refilling to head for a CYA of 50 (started at ~200). Pool is crystal clear, but need to maintain higher FC because of the high CYA.

Hey 21 footer, I'm in Pittsburgh too (South Hills)! After getting pool stored for the last two years, I'm draining/refilling to head for a CYA of 50 (started at ~200). Pool is crystal clear, but need to maintain higher FC because of the high CYA.
How much water did you have to drain to get down to 50, all of it?

finally got my test kit. here are my numbers

FC 0
CC 0
TA 160
PH 7.4
CYA 70

TA seems pretty high, i may test again, but right now i'm draining some water

and ps, I'm crystal clear.

Last edited:
You can lower it once you have everything else in order. I can imagine your frustration though. Many of us listened to the pool store prior to coming to TFP.
I returned 160.00 worth of their garbage today to them (phos out, algecide, shock) so at least I have that :D

I figure if i can get the CYA to around 60 i can work with that for this year. Then I plan on replacing my skimmer next (or close of this season), and I'll have to do a big drain then.

Putting about 6 inches of water back in now then will slam it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.