Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CYA FC confusion

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA FC confusion

Reading in Pool School, ABCs of Pool chemistry, "If you have a SWG or very high levels of direct sunlight, CYA is typically kept between 70 and 80." But when I look at the Chlorine/CYA chart 70 and up have an asterisk and say not recommended.

My pool is in direct sunlight all day long so I'm thinking i want to be in the 70-80 range for CYA, does this sound right? Am I misreading the Chlorine/CYA chart?
    11,000 gal (21' round) AG
    DE EC40

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: CYA FC confusion

That is correct if you're using a SWG.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Generally the "full sun" folks are in Florida/Texas/Arizona. For PA, even in full sun I would start a little lower and work up if your FC loss during the day is too much. You can always add more, you gotta jump through hoops to get rid of it.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

With the SWG you should probably maintain the higher CYA. It allows you to not have to run your cell as much to maintain the needed chlorine in your pool. This allows a longer cell life.

5. Back To Top    #5

To clarify, I'm not using SWG. it was part of of piece i copied and pasted.

I'm in PA, my pool is in direct sun all day long, and I'm trying to determine what CYA level to use. Still waiting for my Taylor K-2006 to come, but I've been using pucks for about 4 years or so, so I'm thinking it will be on the high side. Now I'm just reading everything and trying to understand.
    DE EC40

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I missed that. Tim is correct then you don't want to maintain the higher CYA. The SWG instruction difference is in my last post. Yes it requires a higher level of chlorine with higher CYA but it helps extend the life hours on the salt cell. That's why the different maintenance instructions for SWG that you see in pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by 21 footer View Post
    To clarify, I'm not using SWG. it was part of of piece i copied and pasted.

I'm in PA, my pool is in direct sun all day long, and I'm trying to determine what CYA level to use. Still waiting for my Taylor K-2006 to come, but I've been using pucks for about 4 years or so, so I'm thinking it will be on the high side. Now I'm just reading everything and trying to understand.
    if you test and are already on the high side and do not have an algae issue to deal with then you can stick with the higher CYA and jut chlorinate accordingly.

Now, if your CYA is lower, say 50 stick there until it's proven you need extra CYA.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

If you want a CYA number to shoot for, I'd start with 30-40 and see how it goes. Like was said, easy to add more, harder to lower!
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I get a fail for thoroughly reading today.

Definately post test test kit results when you get that. Your CYA could indeed be high under those conditions.

What does the pool water look like?

10. Back To Top    #10

Even in normally "full-sun" TX, I manage CYA on the low side. As others have stated, it's much easier to add more than it is to get rid of it. Plus, I always leave a little room for vacations where I may have to use trichlor pucks temporarily.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

11. Back To Top    #11

Hey 21 footer, I'm in Pittsburgh too (South Hills)! After getting pool stored for the last two years, I'm draining/refilling to head for a CYA of 50 (started at ~200). Pool is crystal clear, but need to maintain higher FC because of the high CYA.
    30,000 gal inground (20 ft. x 40 ft. w/ deep end), vinyl liner, Pentair Clear & Clear 420 cartridge filter, single speed 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump, heat pump, SunTouch controller

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by scott39 View Post
    Hey 21 footer, I'm in Pittsburgh too (South Hills)! After getting pool stored for the last two years, I'm draining/refilling to head for a CYA of 50 (started at ~200). Pool is crystal clear, but need to maintain higher FC because of the high CYA.
    How much water did you have to drain to get down to 50, all of it?
    DE EC40

13. Back To Top    #13

CYA will drop by the same % as the amount of water you drain. 200 to 50 would require replacing 75% of the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

CYA doesnt occur naturally in water. So draining the whole pool would result in a CYA of 0.
    Think in percentages.
    If your CYA is 100 and your target is 50, drain half
    If its 100 and your target is 40, drain 60%

How much water did you have to drain to get down to 50, all of it?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

15. Back To Top    #15

finally got my test kit. here are my numbers

FC 0
    CC 0
    TA 160
    PH 7.4
    CYA 70

TA seems pretty high, i may test again, but right now i'm draining some water

and ps, I'm crystal clear.
    Last edited by 21 footer; 05-26-2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: forgot water condition
    DE EC40

16. Back To Top    #16

Thing that ticks me off is my ta was around 80 and pool store had me raise it
    DE EC40

17. Back To Top    #17

Now you need some chlorine
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Thing that ticks me off is my ta was around 80 and pool store had me raise it
    You can lower it once you have everything else in order. I can imagine your frustration though. Many of us listened to the pool store prior to coming to TFP.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Azgirl71 View Post
    You can lower it once you have everything else in order. I can imagine your frustration though. Many of us listened to the pool store prior to coming to TFP.
    I returned 160.00 worth of their garbage today to them (phos out, algecide, shock) so at least I have that

I figure if i can get the CYA to around 60 i can work with that for this year. Then I plan on replacing my skimmer next (or close of this season), and I'll have to do a big drain then.

Putting about 6 inches of water back in now then will slam it.
    DE EC40

20. Back To Top    #20

Nice! Yes, CYA of 60 is manageable for sure. Good plan.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast