Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Recommendations for Draining Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Recommendations for Draining Pool

Since my CYA is around 240, I need to drain and refill the pool. Some people have recommended doing multiple 20% drain and refills to prevent popup or structural damage to the pool. I also have been told to avoid drying out the plaster. A 20% drain will also allow me to use the pool water to irrigate my lawn and yard each time instead of the sprinklers, without completely flooding it.

I can rent a submersible pump for $40 a day at Home Depot, but since I will need to do six 20% drains, that would be $240. I might as well buy a pump. I am new to this, so am not sure what specifications and models I should look for. Any recommendations for a decent quality pump would be appreciated. I want to avoid the problem another member had when the pump leaked oil into his pool.

Michael

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Recommendations for Draining Pool

You can buy a cheap submersible pump from harbor freight for around $60, but if you want to get much flow out of it to run sprinklers you may need a bigger one. Alternatively just add a hose bib tap downstream from your pool pump and use it to water the yard and refill as you go draining down just a little each time.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Pump-...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt
    You could get something like that one. I have the 1/5hp one. It pumps 5gpm by the time it pushes through the hose.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Would it be possible (or recommended) to drain my pool with the pool pump by putting the filter in back flush mode? I could probably attach a hose to the back flush outlet.

Michael

5. Back To Top    #5

It is hard to say without knowing what kind of filter you have, to make it easier when asking such things, please put your pool equipment in your signature line. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...efore-you-post
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    It is hard to say without knowing what kind of filter you have, to make it easier when asking such things, please put your pool equipment in your signature line. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...efore-you-post
    I updated my signature.

I also have a post here which shows a picture of the filter.

Can Anyone Identify This Filter
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't see any easy way with the plumbing that is visible in the photo

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't see any easy way with the plumbing that is visible in the photo
    It can't dump out the backwash pipe at the bottom of the filter?
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

9. Back To Top    #9

You can but I don't know the design of that DE filter and if extended backwashing would harm the grids, I guess you could remove the grids then it would probably be safe.

10. Back To Top    #10

You can but I don't know the design of that DE filter and if extended backwashing would harm the grids, I guess you could remove the grids then it would probably be safe.
    That makes sense. Thanks Isaac! I appreciate the help.
    Michael