dirt keeps coming back

bdub76

Apr 25, 2015
Danville, IL
I have been vacuuming my pool since we opened it in early May to try and get the bottom of the pool clean. There is sediment on the bottom that collects on the wrinkles and small divots. The chemistry is fine. I just changed the sand (yes I used pool sand) in the filter last year. I bought a new cover/handle assembly for the multiport valve because I thought the gasket was worn, it was, but I vacuumed this morning after the assembly was changed and now just 2.5 hours after I vacuumed, the same light brown "dirt" is beginning to show up again in all the same places. HELP!! What the heck is going on?? The water is crystal clear. No algae and no dead algae. In fact, I've only opened up the pool once in the last nine years and had as clean water as this year. I vacuum slowly and the dirt does go into the vacuum head and to the filter. For about 30 minutes the bottom looked great.

No algae and no dead algae.
That's likely the problem. Live algae can exist in a pool and you can't see it. You probably have enough chlorine in the pool to kill some but not all of it. After you vacuum the dead algae continues to fall to the floor and you are in and endless cycle of vacuuming "dirt" when you should be killing algae with more chlorine.

Posting up some test results is the first step and we'll help you SLAM the pool and get it not only crystal clear but keep that "dirt" from re-accumulating.

Here are my test results straight from the water sample reading at my pool supplier store.

Saturation index -0.2
TDS 400
CYA 40
Total Chlorine 8.8
Free Chlorine 8.8
pH 7.5
Total Alkalinity 105
Adj. Total Alkalinity 93 (I am raising this as I work on it today)
Total Hardness 213

So there are my numbers as of 11:15 AM today CST.

What do you think?

So, what is happening? Is it that when I vacuum up the algae it just goes through the filter and comes right back out?
No, this is happening.
You probably have enough chlorine in the pool to kill some but not all of it. After you vacuum the dead algae continues to fall to the floor and you are in and endless cycle of vacuuming "dirt" when you should be killing algae with more chlorine.

Even though you vacuum up the dead algae and it stays in the filter, more algae is growing in the pool and it is dying and falling to the floor. Think of it as rain showers.

You get a rain shower and your deck is wet....you dry it off and all is well until the next rain shower comes and gets it wet again.

Okay, got it. So I'll do an overnight FC loss test, see how much chlorine I'm losing and then if it's more than normal I SLAM it. I just ordered a test kit to do that so I'm going to have to wait for it to arrive. In the meantime, thanks very much!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.