What if everything checks out but SWG doesn't generate chlorine?

May 16, 2011
PA
I have a Hayward Aqua-Rite with a T-15 cell in a 25,000 gallon pool. It has worked great for 3 years. This year I opened it up and it was giving me the CIL-failure, but after replacing the part the controller is indicating everything in order. The cell is perfectly clean and clear and I've had multiple water tests done at Leslie's that show all chemistry in specs.

Now I've been running the SWG for 48-hours straight set to super-chlorinate (i.e., 100% on) but my chlorine is still near zero. What else could be going wrong if the cell is clean, the water is good, and the controller thinks everything is fine?

For reference, chemistry is:
  • Salt: 3400ppm
  • pH 7.2
  • CYA: 70ppm
  • Total Alkalinity: 80ppm
  • Ca Hardness: 320ppm

If your cell is producing chlorine, it may be consumed by algae in your pool that you can't see.

Take your OTO chlorine test (thew one in the blue plastic box) and fill it with water coming directly out of the return. That sample should return a pretty high level of chlorine when you put in the 5 drops of R-0600.

Then you will know at least that you are producing chlorine. Let us know what the results are.

Have you had the cell tested? Could be a dead cell. Or if the cell is working something is eating up the CL.

I'd suggest you do a overnight chlorine loss test to see if something is eating it up. Use plain bleach to bring your CL up. Test CL level after sundown, then again the next morning before the sun hits the pool. If you have more than 1ppm loss overnight, then something in the pool is eating CL and you'll need to go through the SLAM process.

Btw, even if your chems are "good" (pool store test results really aren't trusted here, and good according to the store isn't necessarily what's considered good here) and the water is clear, you still could have the start of an algae bloom eating up your CL.

Leslie's might have a tester to check the cell if it is working.

Also, you can get a sample of water after the SWG, unscrew the cell and fill your test vial when it leaks out. Make sure the cell is showing it is generating when you take the sample. It should show that some chlorine is in the water.

You might have nascent algae that is consuming the FC if the cell is working. The cell just can't make enough chlorine to get ahead of it and a SLAM will be needed if this is the case.

You need to bump up the FC level with liquid chlorine in the meantime until you determine if the cell is still working.

Please post the diagnostic numbers when you scroll through the diagnostics. What is the water temp?

If your cell is producing chlorine, it may be consumed by algae in your pool that you can't see.

Take your OTO chlorine test (thew one in the blue plastic box) and fill it with water coming directly out of the return. That sample should return a pretty high level of chlorine when you put in the 5 drops of R-0600.

Then you will know at least that you are producing chlorine. Let us know what the results are.

This was a good idea: I always test water taken from the far end of the pool (near skimmers, away from returns). When did the OTO test on a sample straight from the return I got 5ppm!

Follow-up question: if I'm losing chlorine at this rate should I add algaecide? (Note also I have had a solar cover on the pool, which I assume reduces chlorine loss to sunlight.)

This was a good idea: I always test water taken from the far end of the pool (near skimmers, away from returns). When did the OTO test on a sample straight from the return I got 5ppm!

Follow-up question: if I'm losing chlorine at this rate should I add algaecide? (Note also I have had a solar cover on the pool, which I assume reduces chlorine loss to sunlight.)

I would not add algaecide. You need to do the SLAM process.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like my cell...last year it limped along, kept thinking it was just me, or I was doing something wrong...I didn't want it to be the SWG (mine is a Pentair IC40).

Broke down this year (no chlorine unless I add it) and replaced it, I have chlorine coming out the gadzoo now....

Probably the cell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.