Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Possible scaling??

1. Back To Top    #1

Possible scaling??

First of all thank you for this website, I am a new pool owner coming up on 1 year of ownership and I have not stepped one foot into a pool store thanks to you guys!!! On the wall of my pool I have swirl or darker areas than others. this is only on the walls as the bottom of the pool is a consistent blue.(plaster is Tahoe Blue) is this scaling??
    FC- 4.0
    PH- 7.6
    TA- 60
    Ch-450
    cya-70

To keep PH at this level I need to add about 1/2 cup Ma every 3rd day or so(is this normal?)

Thank you!!!
    Sacramento Ca., 15k gallons, IG, Plaster, Hayward swimclear Cartridge, Hayward Ecostar variable speed pump, Hayward pro logic control panel, Fill date 6-07-14, Taylor k-2006 test kit, SWG, Spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Possible scaling??

Hey Mac,

As you know, most of your numbers are decent. CH a bit high and that means you've got a higher level of minerals dissolved in your pool...and so the scaling. Can you drain and refill a few inches a week for the next couple weeks?
    I'm aware of the drought in cali...not sure how that factors in from a water bill standpoint.

I'm interested here because I've got tahoe blue pebble tech too. Curious if a CH of 450 works harder on this color.
    good luck!
    ~Adam 12K gal free-form pool with spa, Hayward EcoStart VS pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, Hayward C17502 filter, Hayward Heat PumpPro 140k BTU, Stonescapes minipebble. tf-100 & speedstir.
    5.5 foot retaining wall. Build completed in Feb 2015.
    East Central FL.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Your current test r4esults do not indicate a scaling condition. How long have the swirls been there? "Swirl" makes me think of trowel marks
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah,
    your tests dont show that you are in danger of scaling. A pic would go a long ways.

If the plaster is relatively new, fairly quick rise in pH is normal. Its roughly a year for the plaster to fully cure and settle down. After that, the pH rise should slow down considerably.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies, Achristie76, draining and re filling would have to be last resort(serious water constrictions) thx

duraleigh, they appeared over the winter, it is possible my ph got a little high during the winter

Dave, plaster is almost a year old(june 6th 2014) I will try and post some pictures but I am a little computer challenged...

pool pic 1.jpgpool pic 2.jpgpool pic 3.jpg
    Sacramento Ca., 15k gallons, IG, Plaster, Hayward swimclear Cartridge, Hayward Ecostar variable speed pump, Hayward pro logic control panel, Fill date 6-07-14, Taylor k-2006 test kit, SWG, Spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by AChristie76 View Post
    Hey Mac,

As you know, most of your numbers are decent. CH a bit high and that means you've got a higher level of minerals dissolved in your pool...and so the scaling. Can you drain and refill a few inches a week for the next couple weeks?
    I'm aware of the drought in cali...not sure how that factors in from a water bill standpoint.

I'm interested here because I've got tahoe blue pebble tech too. Curious if a CH of 450 works harder on this color.
    good luck!

With the numbers you have posted, you are far from scaling potential since your CSI has a negative product (assuming a 3000 ppm salt level since you have a SWG). Your CH level is perfectly fine where it is at and it is actually providing you with the benefit of raising your CSI to avoid being in the corrosive range. Salt water pools require a higher CH level (especially with borates) to combat the typical low CSI level from maintaining a low TA and having a higher level of CYA. Draining your water is not the correct approach

Having a higher PH while the water is cooler is preferred. I doubt that did any damage unless the PH was left VERY high for most of the winter.

The pictures you posted look more like the typical discolorations from troweling, not from scale.

In regards to your acid additions, you will likely see a decrease in acid consumption if you maintain your PH in the 7.6-7.8 range and added 50 ppm of borates (if you haven't done so already).
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you bdavis466, my salt level is 3100 ppm. I have not added borates at all and not sure if the pool company did at start up. I will try that as well. Thanks again for your help!!