SLAM without a main drain?

Good morning!

I am on day 7 of our SLAM. We are making some progress, but it is very slow. I have a few questions:

1. The main drain on our pool is not hooked up (very old pool, short sale house), so we are only drawing from the skimmer. Is it even possible to complete a SLAM this way? I feel like we are just re-circulating the clear water, not the green.

2. I want to double check my math:
24k pool, Plaster, IG
CYA=40
Shock level = 16
Is that right? I feel like I am very low compared to other threads I am reading.

3. We have an automatic cover. We spent HOURS last weekend cleaning it 2 inches at a time to get rid of algae. We have not put it back on during the SLAM, but I am thinking if we put it on, it may help the process move a little faster. Any opinions?

4. We have a variable speed pump. Any recommendations on which setting to use? Right now I have it at the 3400, but I can only imagine what that is doing to my electric bill. Does it matter which speed I run?

Thanks a bunch. I have tried really hard to look before asking any questions, but I am still a little clueless.

My pool does not have a main drain and I SLAMmed it. So yes you can. Have you been brushing and vacuuming?
I would let the pool breath and keep the cover off if it were me.

- - - Updated - - -

SLAM level is correct, but you could safely bump it to 18 to make sure you stay above SLAM level.

Can you post a full set of numbers? Don't test PH though if FC is above 10 as it won't be accurate.

Thanks AZGirl!

Yes, we have been brushing quite a bit and scooping blind where we can. I don't have a vacuum. Would you recommend getting one? We just bought a robot, but the directions say not to use it while the FC is high.

We tested PH before we started - 7.5.

I don't have the other numbers though. Will those effect the SLAM process?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, why "let it breathe"? I would think keeping the cover on would kill the algae faster because it is not exposed to sunlight 12+ hours. Clearly, I am a newbie, but I do like to understand :)

THanks!

1. It is mandatory that you manually vac the pool or get your robot working. The SLAM will not work unless you start cleaning your pool floor.

2. What is your current FC?

3. What does your water look like?

4. When did you last backwash?

5. 3400 is way too high for the sand filter. Slow that VS pump down to around 1800 or 2000

6. You will likely never pass the SLAM criteria with the cover on. The pool needs UV light to help in the process of eliminating combined chloramines.

I ran my Dolphin with spring clean up filters to get the stuff I couldn't see and am running it now with the "ultra fine" filters to help get the water crystal clear.

IMO, run the robot a cycle. It will kick up all kinds of sediment. Let that settle then the next day vacuum the bottom to waste. A vacuum and hose is $50ish at just about any pool store. We have found Pinch a Penny and they have good prices on basics. I have already got my moneys worth out of my robot, run it. BTW, what did you get?

THanks for the response.

1. I didn't realize I could run the robot while SLAMMING. Will put it in now.
2. Current FC is 18.
3. Water is greenish grey
4. Backwashed yesterday. THe PSI doesn't really creep.
5. Will turn down the pump - had no idea.
6. Ahhh! Will do!

Thanks so much!

If I can figure out how to post pics, I will do so.

Not sure on the robot brand - Dolphin, maybe?

Brushing 2x per day. Today, 3x because I am home.

Robot is up and running. Lets hope that will speed things up.

I was really more worried about filtering with just a skimmer….I guess it will just take a while this way. I am glad that I posted!

Thanks!

PS - taking some new pics now, will post soon.

attachment.php

This was 3 days ago.
attachment.php
This is today. No much difference. Hopefully getting the robot in will make a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Ew. Sorry about the crazy pics.

Attachments

• 20150519_165421.jpg
    20150519_165421.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 443

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! I will keep posting pictures, It helps my sanity.

We put the robot in around 4pm CST and took it out around 6 CST. The muck in the filters was unbelievable!!! We hosed them off and put that sucker back in. I think I know why I wasn't making much progress! :)

Hopefully with the robot running, I will start to see some clearing.

So glad for this website. Thanks again, everyone.

It just take some chlorine, brushing, a bit of vacuuming, and a lot of POP (pool owner patience). You'll get there.

But see with you running the robot you are clearing the bottom that way. If you really want to use a bottom "drain" you can get a manual vacuum and turn it over so the head it upside down on the bottom of your pool. That way the water on the bottom of the pool is what is being filtered. I am not sure if this will help or not but..........it is an idea.

I CAN see a difference in the first two pics. You are doing a good job. Keep working on getting the junk off of the bottom.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Keep taking your pics just over your steps. That is where we will be able to really see the difference.

Good point about the robot, Kimkats. I wasn't thinking of it that way.

This pool is old & was very neglected when we bought the house. The 1st season (2 years ago), I had a pool guy come out and tell me I could never circulate properly without hooking up the main drain. But to do that, we would have had to break up the concrete and re-plumb. I just wasn't willing to do that.

Last year was fine, but we did have to drain and refill at opening. THis is my 1st year trying to turn the water myself. It is just too expensive to refill (have to have it trucked in).

Will keep posing pics of the stairs.

Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.