Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak in Plubming

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak in Plubming

Hi,

I'm almost certain I have a leak in my plumbing.

At one of my connections in the pool shed I have a drip when the pump is running. At first I thought my water loss was this, until I went into the shed this morning and heard a hissing sound. When I turn the pump off, there is a hissing sound coming from the drip area. The leak is taking in air which I can only assume means water is leaving the plumbing somewhere else.

I see no signs of water loss above ground. The pool was installed last year.

What are my next steps? I'd really like to avoid having my brand new interlock torn up......

Thanks so much.
    17,000 gal, IG, vinyl, single speed pump, cartridge filter, built 2014, SWG, natural gas heater, city water fill.
    Jacuzzi hot tub, j-280 model, 400 gal, with Clear ray, chlorine system, well water fill.
    Taylor k-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak in Plubming

How about a photo of where this hiss is coming from and an overall view of the equipment
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

It sounds like your drip (pump running) is the same as your "hiss" (pump not running). Any reason for you to believe it's not one in the same?

How much water are you losing daily?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

The hiss is probably air entering the plumbing and letting the water in the filter drain back into the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Hiss/Drip is coming from the highlighted joint.

Haven't done a bucket test yet but I've lost about an inch and a half per week since it's been opened. Been a dry couple of weeks but it seems like i've had to top up more this year than last July/Aug/Sept when I had it built last summer. First time pool owner so maybe I'm just paranoid.

I'm going to plug the drip/hiss spot tonight and then do the bucket test.

Attached Images Attached Images
    17,000 gal, IG, vinyl, single speed pump, cartridge filter, built 2014, SWG, natural gas heater, city water fill.
    Jacuzzi hot tub, j-280 model, 400 gal, with Clear ray, chlorine system, well water fill.
    Taylor k-2006 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Put shaving cream on it and see if it gets sucked in
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

1.5 " loss per week is not overly abnormal....some, but not overly.

Fix that leak (I don't know how you are going to "plug" a pressure side leak on that joint) and see what your loss is. If it drops to an inch/week or less, I would ignore it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School