Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Filter pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

High Filter pressure

In the past years my filter pressure was normally around 20 PSI. This year i have been running around 26-27 psi which usually means its time to backwash at this pressure. My issue is the filter doesnt need back washed, i tried that and the pressure wont go down. I actually backwash about 10,000 gallons thru it when i opened the pool this was a partial drain and fill to bring mu CYA down ... My initial thought was maybe last year the pool company i had close the pool didn't do a good job cleaning the filter. So yesterday a took it all apart and thoroughly cleaned all the fins.... put it all back together and still 26 psi before adding any DE. It appears as if the flow and pressure on the return is the same it always was in past years.
    Any ideas from the experts
    Located in Lebanon,Pennsylvania.. 25,000 Gallon IG Plaster Pool Installed Fall of 2011...
    Stenner 3GPD pump
    Jandy DEV60 60SqFt DE Filter (Using Puri fiber.)..,1.5Hp Jandy Pump PMPH1.5
    Aqucal SQ 166R Heater...Polaris 9400 Robot/Cleaner
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: High Filter pressure

My guess is your clean pressure changed. That happened to me too. My clean pressure started at 2/3 psi and now it is 5/6 psi. I just check the return flow and backwash when it slows.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Does it quickly go to 0 when you turn the pump off? May be a bad gauge. The easiest thing would be get another one to verify the pressure is really that high.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

It does go to zero when I turn off the pump. I was thinking of trying a new Gauge too.

Located in Lebanon,Pennsylvania.. 25,000 Gallon IG Plaster Pool Installed Fall of 2011...
    Stenner 3GPD pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

tftestkits.net has very nice gauges for reasonable price.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Your problem sounds like mine. I went through 2or 3 of the "cheaper" gauges from the nearest pool store and each time I got a new one the pressure would read my normal 12 but would start to drift up after winter and it was the gauges (confirming I didn't need to backwash etc). I bought the one from tfteskits this year. Happy so far.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

7. Back To Top    #7

If you put smaller eyeballs in your returns that would cause a pressure increase. Also check to see if you have anything stuck behind an eyeball that might be reducing flow/increasing back pressure.
    Cheers, Peter
    20,000 gal, 52'x17' kidney shaped IG, Pebble Tec, IntelliPro P6E6VS4H-209L pump. Intellichlor IC40 SWG.
    300 sf Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter. Poolvergnuegen 4-wheel suction pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Think back to see if you have added or modified ANYTHING on the pressure side to restrict the flow. If your filter is functioning as it was last year, about the only thing that will make the psi go up is some other type of restriction on the pressure side.

Your pump is a little high for your setup but 20 would be about right and 26 sounds too high. Something is restricting the output.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

The only thing I did was cut in a tee for the stenner pump injection.

Stenner 3GPD pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

That shouldn't really restrict flow or increase the pressure.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

New pressure gauge came this am from Amazon .... Problem solved!

Stenner 3GPD pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I had a hunch.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html