Pavers vs. Kool Decking In Vegas like Climate Looking for Input

QingGuy

Silver Supporter
Mar 22, 2015
Las Vegas NV
So I'm rethinking doing cool decking. The idea of having to respray 1,700+ sq ft of cool decking every three years at a minimum of $2 a sq ft plus prep is not sounding appealing. However, I also live in Vegas and we have at least 60 + days of 100 plus full on sun that can make things a bit uncomfortable.

Anyone have pavers in a similar climate, do you regret installing them due to temperatures when walking on them? Personally I think they look better, wife doesn't agree but I think the bottom line may be not having to respray.

Looking for input please.

I live in Houston, so not quite the same. It's not unusual for us to have many days in a row of 100+ summer temps. I know we don't have as many as you guys do in Las Vegas and Arizona. What makes us miserable is the high humidity along with high temps. When the humidity is high (most of the time), there is no escaping the heat outside. There's no relief in the shade. I don't know if high humidity has any bearing on hardscaping.

Now that I've got that cleared up..... Last summer I used a neighbor's pool 3-5 times a week for exercise. He has the concrete pavers in a medium to dark color. I love the look, but they were very hot. I had to use flip flops. On our pool build, I'm pretty sure we're going with pavers for the following reasons:

1. I don't want concrete - well, until I saw Karyn's pool build with her deck of gorgeous Travertine-like stamped pattern on concrete. If I had seen that before I committed to pavers, I would have seriously considered going that route.
2. I wear flip flops most of the time anyway, and we won't be having little ones running in and out of the pool barefoot, and I don't believe we have the number of high heat days ya'll do - or above 110 degrees I see ya'll have.
3. If I could afford Travertine pavers, I might go that way. But having to seal it since I'm using a SWG system is a big stumbling block. But the high cost takes care of that decision.
4. I love the look of pavers, almost as much, if not better than Travertine (love the Versailles pattern)
5. Pavers are very durable.
6. Under deck repairs, if ever needed, are much easier and I'm assuming less expensive. At least, we have a better shot doing our own under deck repairs if we have pavers as opposed to concrete.

I think that covers my reasons......

Now, from what I've heard about the heat ya'll endure, I'm pretty sure I would go with Travertine because of the cooler surface and the ability to replace blocks or make repairs under them. I would just consider it a necessary expense for living in an extremely hot climate. Kind of like holding my breath every time I open our electric bill for the heat and to remove some of the humidity in the house. It's part of the cost of living here in Houston.

Good luck and take care! Suz.

Live in Southern Cal, not quite as hot as Vegas, but we had some 112 degree days last year.

We have travertine pavers and on days it gets over 100, the pavers stay cool. The pricing was comparable to stamped concrete if you can find a distributor and have it delivered, then hire out the installation separately. Sealing it is really easy, I did it myself with a weed sprayer and sponge.

Oh man, I'm wavering again. I've seen pictures of both your pools (Corleone's and Martin's), and they are amazing!!! Can either of you suggest a place I might be able to order the Travertine pavers for less than here in Houston? Sorry QingGuy! I guess this renders my above post #3 null and void...... Suz.

http://www.travertinemart.com/

They have pretty good prices, but the shipping was too high to CA, since they're in FL. Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad to Houston?

I ended up finding a place in Anaheim that sold them to me for 3.00/sq.ft. I then hired the guy who dumped my dirt, to pick them up and deliver, which was the most economical way for me since I got about 1300ft.

I'd try contacting some distributors, if you make it clear you're paying in cash, many of them will sell directly to homeowners.

Corleone: Thanks so much for the tips. I'm going to look into this. I don't have a lot of time now, but you never know. I'll always wonder if it could have worked out. I want to give it a go! Thanks again. Suz.

When you say respray, are you talking about the texture? Because you shouldn't be doing that often, or at all once it's sprayed and troweled.

Or are you talking about the acrylic stain that's the color? True you may have to roll on a new coat of sealer every few years as the colors do fade.

http://www.travertinemart.com/

They have pretty good prices, but the shipping was too high to CA, since they're in FL. Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad to Houston?

I ended up finding a place in Anaheim that sold them to me for 3.00/sq.ft. I then hired the guy who dumped my dirt, to pick them up and deliver, which was the most economical way for me since I got about 1300ft.

I'd try contacting some distributors, if you make it clear you're paying in cash, many of them will sell directly to homeowners.
hmmmmm going to have to look into this option. What did they charge you to install?

When you say respray, are you talking about the texture? Because you shouldn't be doing that often, or at all once it's sprayed and troweled.

Or are you talking about the acrylic stain that's the color? True you may have to roll on a new coat of sealer every few years as the colors do fade.
I'm referring to the material they spray on the concrete to make it cool. It chips, stains etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I actually hired two concrete workers for a month because I had a lot of hard scape(for example around 600 sq ft of stone veneer, 400 sq ft of poured concrete for side of the house, lots of masonry etc...).

To answer your question, the pavers took them about 8 days. For 8 days their wages were 2,240. The base and sand was about 400.00 delivered. Roughly 2.20 per sq ft installation. Total price was just south of 5.50 per sq ft for material and labor.

I actually hired two concrete workers for a month because I had a lot of hard scape(for example around 600 sq ft of stone veneer, 400 sq ft of poured concrete for side of the house, lots of masonry etc...).

To answer your question, the pavers took them about 8 days. For 8 days their wages were 2,240. The base and sand was about 400.00 delivered. Roughly 2.20 per sq ft installation. Total price was just south of 5.50 per sq ft for material and labor.
That's a great price!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.