Technical bonding question

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
I posted a prior thread about this issue, but I had all the facts wrong, so rather than correct it in that thread I decided to post a new thread with detailed pictures. After my pool passed the bonding inspection (in which there was a copper wire around the perimeter of the pool and also a copper wire connected to all the equipment on the pad), my contractor came in to build a grotto and a slide. The slide was bonded together to the copper wire that was going around the perimeter of the pool and that bonding will be inspected Tuesday. To give you a perspective, below is a picture of the Grotto (which doesn't have its roof on yet) when standing near my house.
The contractor dug behind the Grotto three feet down and poured footings for the slide as well. Below are pictures of what it looked like after they dug.
attachment.php
The pictures below show the area behind the Grotto he dug up, and in the one picture below showing both the pipes and the footings, you can see that the contractor laid down two pieces of REBAR that ran around the perimter behind the Grotto. You can see if you look closely that he tied those two pieces of REBAR together to a piece of REBAR that was coming out of the Pool. It seems to me that since all the REBAR in the Pool was bonded, the tying the new REBAR to the Pool REBAR is sufficient to bond this new REBAR. However, after he poured in some concrete, he apparenbtly put two more pieces of REBAR into the area behind the Grotto and then poured mor concrete. I don't have any pictures of this and did not see him do it, but he told me he did. My question is: What if when he put the other REBAR into this area, he did not tie it to any of the Pool's REBAR. Now I would have REBAR in concrete that is 16 inches from the water's edge. No one exiting the Pool would stand directly on the ground where that untied in REBAR is, but when in the Grotto, you do touch the walls of the Grotto when you lean back and those walls are somewhat over the ground where that untied in REBAR is. In addition, when you walk to go on the Slide (steps and pathway not done yet), you are walking a little (although not directly) over the ground where that REBAR would be. Now the contractor actually doing the work doesn't speak English very well so I don't know if he tied in that additional REBAR, and will try to have someone ask him for me on Tuesday. My question is assuming he did not, do we have a serious issue?
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1922.jpg
    IMG_1922.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1885.jpg
    IMG_1885.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1876.jpg
    IMG_1876.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1870.jpg
    IMG_1870.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1873.jpg
    IMG_1873.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 165
Any thoughts on the above? Also. If I add a metal clip to a rock so I can tie a volleyball net to it, does that have to be bonded. I read somewhere that a small amount of metal doesn't have to be bonded but can't recent where I saw that or what the specific rule was.

Thanks

I think you are both over thinking this and not fully understanding the purpose of the bonding grid.

The concrete is what is being bonded when the rebar is tied into the grid. Believe it or not, Concrete is very conductive and this is the reason for the bond connection. Rebar itself does not need to be bonded as much as it is there to connect the concrete to the grid. Since the rebar is there and is thru all of the concrete it is used to equal out any voltage potentials in the concrete. A stray piece of rebar will pose no problems in the concrete. As to the "clip", ...most likely not. I don't recall right off hand the dimensions the spec out for bond requirements but it is somewhere around 9 square inches. A small metal clip won't hold enough of a voltage potential to be a problem

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.