Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need to SLAM??

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need to SLAM??

I just opened the pool and am not sure if I should SLAM. It has been open for a few weeks now, and water is very clear, but there a small spots here and there where green algae is starting to grow on the bottom. I have been brushing it and vacuuming and it seems to move around a little. I have been maintaining FC around 4-7. (pH is 7.8, TA is 70, CYA is 50-60). I thought about doing the overnight test for FC...I tested about 5 pm and got a reading of 7. pump and swg shut down around 8 pm and I tested again just now (pump and swg have not yet started for the day) and got a reading of around 5.5.

So would SLAMing help here, or should I just continue keeping levels in range and chasing the little bits of algae? I attached some pics, but it is barely visible in them. It really is a small amount, but I've not had this before and am a bit annoyed with it.

Thanks!

FullSizeRender[1].jpgFullSizeRender.jpg
    31K gal IG vinyl | Pentair Sand Dollar filter | Pentair Intelliflow VS pump | Pentair IC40 SWG | Aquacomfort H/C heatpump | Pentair Easy Touch controller | Dolphin M4 cleaner | TF 100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I need to SLAM??

Yes SLAM whenever you get algae. Keep the pump running 24/7 and raise your FC to slam level. It should go quick.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I missed the ph. Add acid and bring it down for the slam.

- - - Updated - - -

Your slam level is 24
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

I would SLAM it if it were mine. It may be pretty easy with this one, but I'd want to get it eliminated.

Welcome to the forum!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I agree with Partick.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

FC 2.5
    CC .5
    TA 200
    PH 7.5
    OTCL 1

My pool is nearly crystal clear but still a bit cloudy and I just got done slamming after a very cloudy pool but didn't wait until crystal clear. The pressure is only 4% over clean and was wondering if I should be doing anything else. Vinyl liner pool. 21500 gallons.

6. Back To Top    #6

You just need to re start, and follow your SLAM through to the very end. Make sure that all criteria are met for completion, no short cuts.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Can you leave an auto cover on while slamming this way the sun doesn't affect the chlorine?