Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need plumbing advise remodel

1. Back To Top    #1

Need plumbing advise remodel

I am getting a new skimmer installed as it's an old hydro baker leaking, also doing a refinish yet tbd. I would like to run new 2" pvc lines as the pool is 1-1/2" now. I will split the skimmer and main drain back to the pad but my question is do I go the expense and effort to change the returns to 2" line as there is a lot of concrete deck from each return. I'm reading About head loss etc. the existing returns are just a single 1-1/2" line to each of the 2 returns, not individual lines.

Should i run 2" and just reduce it to 1-1/2 existing return lines as close as I can get to the existing returns or would the flow be ok with 2" suction lines and 1-1/2 returns. I didn't plan on doing any major plumbing replacement but if I'm doing a new skimmer and after reading a lot here I'm second guessing what to do.

thanks for advise
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by roth79; 05-22-2015 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Add pic
    13000 in ground Wet Edge Satin Tahitian Blue, Pentair VS pump, Hayward DE4820, Hayward Vac, Pentair SWG IC 40, Pentair Intellibrite 5G, Intellibrite Controller,
    TF-100 Test Kit, Seminole, West Central Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need plumbing advise remodel

Typically you would use 2" on the skimmer and another 2" on the main drain and then use separate 1 1/2" lines for each return. A single 1 1/2" for both returns is fairly restrictive. Separate 2" lines for each return is overkill.

Perhaps you could leave the existing 1 1/2" line in place and run a new 1 1/2" line for one of the returns in a way that minimizes the amount of deck that needs to be broken up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

J I think that's doable, so leave the returns at 1-1/2" and that would be ok with 2" skimmer lines? I have to trench for the skimmer lines so I can drop in a new 1-1/2 return right near it and I can cut right at deck and join the 1-1/2 to a new line to the pad. Watcha think?
    13000 in ground Wet Edge Satin Tahitian Blue, Pentair VS pump, Hayward DE4820, Hayward Vac, Pentair SWG IC 40, Pentair Intellibrite 5G, Intellibrite Controller,
    TF-100 Test Kit, Seminole, West Central Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

I had my equipment moved about 60 ft from the the skimmer. As a result, i used a single 2.5" line from the skimmer/main drain. My return is a single 2.5" that was further split into four 1.5". I went with bigger pipes because my equipment is far from my pool. If my equipment were to stay in the old location (about 5 ft from the pool), I wouldn't have cared as much.

- - - Updated - - -

PS - if you are having them dig the trench, why not just got with 2.5" line instead of 2" line. That extra 1/2 inch equates to 50% more area of of the pipe cross section. I even debated going with 3" line.