Filter Gauge problems

LisaDLu

Nov 14, 2014
Palm Desert, CA
Trying to troubleshoot what is going on with our filter gauge. We replaced it about six months ago because it wasn't registering. It worked normally until about 6 weeks ago it kept registering lower and lower until it stopped on zero and would never move. We cleaned the cartridge filters and still no gauge movement so figured the gauge had gone bad again. Replaced the gauge today and it still won't register. It is a bottom mount pressure gauge. Is there something I can look for to see if the gauge is engaging with the filters or not? Or any other ideas why nothing is registering ? Thanks!

No obstructions on the filter gauge. Any other ideas? There is water in the filter dome and the pool water is filtering fine. It just appears that the gauge is not working. Could it be something needing replacing on the filter dome?

After doing some internet searching it seems it could be a clogged basket, blocked drain covers, low water level in pool, air leaks in O-rings and pump lids, clogged pump impeller, or bad pump motor.

We've eliminated all of the above expect a clogged pump impeller or bad pump motor. My vacuum is still running around fine and we checked the suction where we plug in the vacuum hold and it seems normal. We are going to google how to check for a clogged pump impeller and check that but we had our pool replastered in January. Could it be the main drain in the bottom of the deep end is clogged because of all the plaster and dust. How would we check that? We can't dive down 8' to see. Ideas???

If the water is circulating like it is supposed to, the impeller isn't clogged. If you are circulating water, the main drain should have no effect on it. If, however, you are switching to main drain only, and that's when you have your problem, it may be a main drain problem. Take the gauge off and start the pump. Does the water shoot about 20 feet up? That'll tell you if you actually have pressure to the gauge. Maybe you have luck like mine, and the new gauge you bought is bad too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen debris get up into the dome and block the gauge. If you have the filter apart you can pull the gauge off and squirt water back through the gauge opening. If that's clear there is no reason you shouldn't be getting a reading on the gauge.

Thank you everyone! We went back to the pump basket and removed the filter, then felt around inside the pipe leading to the filter. It was filled with a birdsnest of foxtails. We cleared it out by hand and viola!! We have water pressure showing on our gauge again. THANK YOU!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.