Thinking about installing an IC40

Jul 2, 2013
Long Island, NY
Hi folks,

First, some background. I acquired a house with a pool 2 seasons ago ...struggled though one and a half of them to keep the pool reasonably algae free. Then, thankfully, I found this site and adopted TFP methods. And WOW!! is all I can say. I learned what "sparkling water" really meant. That felt great but lugging jugs of bleach, not so much. So, this year I'm thinking of adding a SWG. An IC40 with EasyTouch controller, to automate with my Intelliflow VS pump, to be exact. Is the IC40 a good size for 21k gallons?

As I'm in the process of planning the installation (have to rework my pvc lines anyway) and was wondering if 12-18 inches of straight pipe before the inlet is really necessary. Any opinions or experiences?

Thanks all.

I installed IC40's on both of my daughter's pools, with the suggested 18" of straight pipe and the pool builder installed my IC40 with about a 1/16th of an inch of straight pipe. All three units are working fine and I can't see any performance differences between them. The responses I have seen before all say the 18" is the suggested best set up but is not an absolute requirement.

Jim R.

I have an IC40 and an Easytouch, and I like the control that I get with the combo.

However, the IC40 can be somewhat expensive to maintain. It's anecdotal, but there are many reports of failed cells. I myself wnt through two bad cells in about 4 years. After switching to tablets for a few years, I spent the $500 for another one. My third cell is just starting its third season, but I've had my issues with it.

I'm sure all salt systems have their fair share of failures. What you might want to consider is the cost of replacement cells, as I think the IC40s are one of the most costly.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, while you may not need to lug gallons of bleach any more, you may need to get accustomed to lugging gallons of Muriatic Acid. It probably depends somewhat on your water supply, but SWG's do tend to cause pH to rise.

I have an IC40 and an Easytouch, and I like the control that I get with the combo.

However, the IC40 can be somewhat expensive to maintain. It's anecdotal, but there are many reports of failed cells. I myself wnt through two bad cells in about 4 years. After switching to tablets for a few years, I spent the $500 for another one. My third cell is just starting its third season, but I've had my issues with it.

I'm sure all salt systems have their fair share of failures. What you might want to consider is the cost of replacement cells, as I think the IC40s are one of the most costly.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, while you may not need to lug gallons of bleach any more, you may need to get accustomed to lugging gallons of Muriatic Acid. It probably depends somewhat on your water supply, but SWG's do tend to cause pH to rise.

Good feedback. Thanks. I did as much research as possible on reliability and it seems all cells have their weak points. The cost of IC40 cells is one of their drawbacks. But, integration with my Intellifow pump is a big plus for me. I haven't heard much about pH issues. Guess there's no way to predict that?

You'll learn how fast it rises with a little time. Some people don't have much of a ph rise at all. Others have quite a bit. When running my previous swg, I would add acid about once a week to drop from 7.8 to 7.5. I just installed a new swg, and I haven't had it long enough for it to raise the ph yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry to hijack this thread, but it seems to make more sense than to start another thread regarding the same question. I went into a local Pentair dealer today to inquire about the cost of having a Clean & Clear Plus filter installed. Was quoted $1,300 for a 4020. I can only assume that is for the CCP420. Anyway, that didn't seem like a bad price. Then they talked to me about a IC40 and all the benefits. They want $1,800 to install. That seemed like a lot to me. I am pretty handy with plumbing and electric, so am wondering if I shouldn't just purchase everything on-line and install myself. Looking to lessen the daily maintenance on my pool.

If you have ever installed a light switch, and understood what you were actually doing, and you know how to work with pvc; by all means install it yourself. It'll be close to half what they quoted you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem bjsbuds! You are most welcome to join in.
I did my PVC work this weekend. It might have been more work than an average install would entail because I basically re-did all the plumbing: I had some leaking joints and the equipment layout wasn't working for me. The only glich was I had to replace my multi-port valve: someone cemented in one of the fittings I wanted to replace. Not nice. I put in a Pentair dummy IC cell for now. I'm happy to report: it came out great and no leaks!
I'll pull the trigger on buying the controller and actual cell this week. I'm more comfortable doing electrical work but it looks easy enough.
Based on my experience so far, I'd say "go for it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.