Need Encouragement!

May 17, 2012
Central Georgia
So here's the deal.

Last fall, under protest, I left the cover off the pool as the wife wanted to keep the pool open all winter so that it would be pretty for Christmas parties and such. I complied (happy wife, happy life!) until I had a major medical issue that prevented me from keeping it up. Needless to say, it turned into the proverbial swamp, complete with a huge frog I named Kermit. I happen to have more oak trees around the pool than most national forests, so when I got started in April, I was scooping out hundreds of pounds of wet leaves, along with enough acorns to feed every squirrel in the state all winter. Also, it rained all but two days in April so every time I'd add chlorine it would just get diluted and go out the overflow. Throw in a week when we were out of town for a daughter's wedding, and thus it was May 1st when I got down to business. I have been SLAMming the thing since, and scooping, vacuuming and sweeping too. I backwash the sand filter at least twice a day, regardless if there's a rise in the pressure or not.

The numbers:

FC: 25
TC: 25
CC: 0
PH: 6.8
CH: 90
CYA: 25-30

I'm passing the overnight test and the CC is nil.

The problem? Other than it's Memorial Day weekend and the wife is on my case, the water is still a gray, yellowish green. i can see the bottom of the shallow end (4 ft.) and about half-way down in the deep end (8.5 ft.). I know it's a slow process, but it just seems like it's a lot slower this year. Have i done all I can, or am I missing something that might speed up the process? I've used DE before as the last step to get the water sparkling, but never this early in the process. Should I go ahead with a DE treatment? Should I bite the bullet, and take the filter top off and do a deep clean on the sand, or even (I realize the controversy) change the sand?

I always get great advice here, so I don't doubt that someone here has some sage advice, or the very least some kind words that I'm doing all I can (which I will share with the wife!)

Thanks all!

PH

Sounds you've been practicing some POP (pool owner patience) already. It just might take a little more.

You're passing OCLT and have no CC's which is great! You've come a long way from the start of your description. Sounds like your filter needs more time to get all the particulates out and DE would certainly help speed things up. It would be worth taking the top off the sand filter and having a peak in there to see what's up before adding DE. If it's a funky mess from all the filtering, a deep clean then proceeding to DE would be worth it. Since you are passing the OCLT and CCs are low, you may want to let the FC fall below 10 and check out the pH and adjust. pH test usually reads high at high FC levels so a low pH at high FC is concerning. Check out your TA in the mean time as well before adjusting pH as they are related.

Tell your better half that you're doing a great job but nasty swaps got that way over MONTHS of time and it takes time to get them sparkly again.

My understanding is back washing too often will actually slow down the process of clearing the water. A sand filter that's a little dirty is suppose to filter better. Hopefully someone will chime in about adding DE....I have no experience with sand filters, only our DE filter.

Hang in there....help will come! :)

Oop....I see help has already arrived. :D

Agree that you are backwashing too often. Don't backwash until pressure rises 20-25% over clean pressure. See if that helps. Are you running it 24x7? Vacuuming? Sure there isn't any debris left on the bottom?

That lingering cloudiness can be dealt with by putting a little DE into your sand filter. If creates a superfine layer on top the sand. Like setting a window screen on top of a barbecue grill. If you can aim one of your returns down at the deep end to keep things stirred up, the skimmer has a better chance of grabbing it. Or aim the returns up if you have a main drain you can draw from. Sediment sinks, fresh water returns to the top. And if none of those are an option, can you connect the vacuum and set it on its side or something to draw water from down low?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.