Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ducks

1. Back To Top    #1

Ducks

Hello,

Pardon me if this is not appropriate, but I need some help.

Upon opening the pool, it became a "tradition" for the ducks to come and check out the pool, get a bit of swimming and now they started getting my deck area messy. I am not sure how to stop them, so I figure there must be others here that have faced the same problem. So, if you do have ducks that visit, what do you do? How can I deter them from inviting themselves over?

Thanks.
    20 x 44 in-ground vinyl
    Hayward Pro-Series High-rate sand filter (S310T)
    Nature2 Zodiac chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ducks

Well, it depends on how hard core you want to be. You can try this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ge-recipe.html

But seriously, I have a German Shepherd Dog and four cats, so ducks in the pool are never an issue. Some people string fishing line over the pool with pie plates or,other moving shiny objects to deter them. Others have used the plastic fake owls to scare them
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Too funny. I keep saying that roasted ducks are not bad, and my children do not want to hear about it at all. I would prefer not to make a meal out of them, but if they persist too much, I may be forced into getting it done. Thanks
    20 x 44 in-ground vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, so I found out that ducks do not like the reflection the cds emits. I hang some in ropes across the pool and the ducks are gone.
    20 x 44 in-ground vinyl

5. Back To Top    #5

AFLAC! ha ha. CDs huh? Really? I don't have a duck problem (yet), but that's a good one to remember.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Well, it depends on how hard core you want to be. You can try this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ge-recipe.html
    Duck Breast smothered in cream cheese and jalapeno peppers and all of that wrapped in bacon and then grilled ..... send those ducks my way!
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

7. Back To Top    #7

With that sort of recipe, i think I will invite the ducks over again! Sound absolutely delicious. I will have to try that, duck, chicken, or even turkey!
    20 x 44 in-ground vinyl

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by brasilmom View Post
    With that sort of recipe, i think I will invite the ducks over again! Sound absolutely delicious. I will have to try that, duck, chicken, or even turkey!
    My friends went duck hunting one year and one guy kept all the duck breasts and brought about 50 of these to hunting camp. I think i ate double digits that night!
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

9. Back To Top    #9

I turned the garden hose on them whenever they landed in the pool. That worked for me. Really only had to do it a few times and they checked out.

Lagoon 40x22, Vinyl, 27,000 gal, 1HP WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair 60 gpm Sand filter, Hayward Brominator (used for chlorine pucks only when away), Rheem gas heater, Dolphin M4 Robot
    Waterfall on separate dedicated pump

10. Back To Top    #10

We have had ducks before and we just scared them away a few times and it was enough to stop them. If that doesn't work then ship of fools recipe is a killer!
    20,000 gal. 27' AGP
    Hayward 18" sand filter with 1 hp Hayward Matrix pump
    A convinced BBB user and TFP fan

11. Back To Top    #11

I looked into this as well when I had ducks. I saw a suggestion that an alligator pool float or other natural predator would work.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

12. Back To Top    #12

Ducks

Just had to remove some ducks this morning:

Will try your recipe suggestion shortly as soon as I can lower the ingredient amounts to account for the little ones...lol

In my case, I had to help the ducklings out, they couldn't make the jump out of the pool, so I had to put a flat piece of marble I had around from the pool renovation into the water and cover it with a towel so they could get out....after the traumatic experience of my chasing (and catching accidentally) some of them with my net, they were very happy to be on their way.
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by brasilmom View Post
    Ok, so I found out that ducks do not like the reflection the cds emits. I hang some in ropes across the pool and the ducks are gone.
    I wonder which would work better... country music or hard rock? My personal taste in repellent would lean towards country, but I'm sure there is a lot of country music fans on the forum--