Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hello,

I hope this is the correct area of the forms to post this topic, as this was a different topic I posted in this form. I recently purchased a place which had an above ground pool (18' x 33'). With the help of the great folks on TFP I have finally got the chemicals correct, next I was going to get the sand cleaned up at the bottom of the pool.

The bottom of the pool had a layer of sand, I believe the previous owner would broom the deck sand / dust into the pool. Why I don't know... The previous owner had a cleaning robot so I let that go around in bottom of the pool for about 4-5 hours. It picked up sand but also blew the sand around in the pool. Now the pool is very cloudy looking, I'm guessing due to the sand.

My question was, is there a good / fast way to clean that up, so we can use the pool? Or do I just have to let my pump / filter run to get it all cleaned up? It has been almost 15 hours since I've taken the robot cleaner out and just the pump running and the pool is still very cloudy.

Any cleaning suggestions would be great.

Thank you!

Do both. I would run the cleaner as often as possible.....cleaning it as necessary. It sounds like the cleaner may have been too full with debris so started spitting debris back out. Keep it running and keep the pump running 24/7.

Have you backwashed? What is your current psi?

Can you post a set of current test results?

Thanks for the reply. Current psi is ~12. I was thinking I'd only need to backwash once the psi got up higher. I'll post the water test results soon as I get home tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free Chlorine: 0.77
Total Chlorine TCL: 0.99
PH: 7.5
Total Alkalinity ALY: 105
Calcium Hardness CH: 98
Cyanuric Acid CYA: 35

I added more bleach for FC and stabilizer. I will test again for the FC later tonight.

I have the pump and Vaccum going, water is pretty cloudy.

You need to add bleach and get your CYA up for sure but you know that. You may be fighting algae and not sand. However, I will leave that conversation for those who know the script better than I.

I dropped by to ask if you have considered replacing cleaners filter bag? My cleaner picks up and retains sand without a problem.

I was a bit concerned that it might be alge as well but not sure how to tell. Ideas anyone? I know when I clean out the filter bag it definitely isn't like regular sand. Much bigger and more yellow brown in color. Mustard algae?

For the cleaner I realized that I was letting the bag get full. Today I stared cleaning it every hour or 2 and it has picked up a good amount of "sand". Will keep at the cleaning.

Hopefully someone will have some info on if this is something more serious than just sand.

Looks like you probably need to consider doing a SLAM. CYA is perfect for a SLAM. You will need to bring your PH down to 7.2.

You need to get some chlorine in there fast!

What you have may be some algae and not sand or a bit of both.

Have you discovered Pool School yet?

I started using the website about a week or so ago. I haven't gotten familiar will aspects. Mainly the chemicals and pool calculator etc. I'll do a bit of digging to see what the SLAM is. I tried to attached a few pictures of the "sand" I'm picking up but the upload dialog gives some coding error.

Would it be better to have this moved to the algae forum?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When my pool used to get cloudy, I would try and guess what the problem was and I rarely wanted to deal with algae so I would try and address other things. Finally, when the water would look a bit cloudy and I treated it for algae, I saved a lot of money. With your low FC level I am sure you are in the early stages of an algae problem.

Shani,

What a great pic. It is pretty clear to me that some of what your cleaner is picking up is sand. That said, I also think some of that might very well be dead algae that has joined some calcium scale and clumped up.

Before you try to identify the exact cause (there is likely more than one cause) I would like to see you brush, run the pump 24/7, and keep that robot in the pool picking up debris.

Once the pool is cleaned up, we need to see a current set of test results but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.....clean up the debris in the pool. Backwash when your psi is 25% above it's normally clean pressure.

I believe you will need an OCLT test but not right now. You have visible debris in your pool so that is a "fail" and you will not pass OCLT

Hi Duraleigh,

Thanks for the reply.

I have been running the pump now for 2 full days 24/7, will continue to do that and brush and run the robot.

Yesterday I was concerned I had algae as well my CC numbers were getting high so rather than wait another day I decided to do a SLAM, I didn't see any downside to it (hopefully I was right in that).

I have been adding Chlorine and taking several readings today not really sure what to make of them but there has been no change in the pool, the water is still cloudy and the same color.

SLAM results (The FC and TC readings are not exact as I had to dilute the solution by half as my digital tester only goes to 10), so the numbers would essentially be double. My CYA before starting was 36-38:

--Sat morning 8:15am
Free Chlorine: 8.92 (diluted sample)
Total Chlorine: 9.75 (diluted sample)

Added more chlorine

--Sat morning 9:15am
Free Chlorine: 8.79 (diluted sample)
Total Chlorine: 9.35 (diluted sample)

Added more chlorine

--Sat morning 10:15am
Free Chlorine: 7.84 (diluted sample)
Total Chlorine: 8.05 (diluted sample)

Added more chlorine

--Sat afternoon 12:15pm
Free Chlorine: 7.96 (diluted sample)
Total Chlorine: 8.35 (diluted sample)

Added more chlorine

--Sat afternoon 2:15pm
Free Chlorine: 9.45 (diluted sample)
Total Chlorine: Over 10 (diluted sample)

--Sat afternoon 5pm
Free Chlorine: 8.36 (diluted sample)
Total Chlorine: 8.91 (diluted sample)
pH: 7.4
CYA: 36

Any ideas, should I just continue what I am doing with the SLAM at keep the FC over 16 (8 in the diluted sample)?

Thanks

What is your pH and CH?

Do you know how the sand got there?

Yes, I suggest you continue the SLAM but there is no need to test as often since you are losing so little chlorine. Probably twice a day is enough.

I might add that we are quite untrusting of digital test results, When was it last calibrated?

Last test showed:

pH: 7.4
CYA: 36

No idea on the calibration. Just purchased it less than 2 weeks ago. It was so hard to find a non test strip unit here in Canada. What model would you recommend I get that might be available in Canada. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.