Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Please Help!

Hi Everyone.
    I am hoping for some guidance; I just had my pool opened Wednesday, I cleaned it the past couple of days and then had the water tested (I did buy the recommended test kit but just this once brought it to pool store). My alkalinity was at 0--the pool store tried getting me to buy $70 worth of stuff but I did not-----I added baking soda using the pool calculator for amount;

Questions
    Now my water is SUPER cloudy, is that normal for awhile?

I used baking soda that is fresh burst, was that a mistake?

When/how do I add bleach as my chlorine?

Do you not use shock at all using the BBB method?

I am feeling overwhelmed right now, appreciate any help/advice/guidance!

Thank you!
    17x34 and ranges in depth from 3 ft to 6 ft.; I think 20-22 thousand Gallons
    IG -Vinyl with Waterfall
    Hayward Super Pump 1.5 HP
    Pentair DE 60 Filter
    Hayward H300 Heater; Taylor K-2006 Complete

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please Help!

Welcome to TFP, Adam!

3. Back To Top    #3

First, post a full set of test results before we start shouting suggestions. Is there any chlorine in the water? That would be my first priority but I do want to see the other readings.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!

Free Chlorine- .07 ppm
    total Chlorine .19 ppm
    Combined .12 ppm
    ph 6.3
    Hardness 180 ppm
    Alkalinity 0
    Cyanuric Acid 109 ppm
    Copper .6 ppm
    Iron .3 ppm
    Borate 18 ppm
    IG -Vinyl with Waterfall
    Pentair DE 60 Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by AdamS View Post
    Thanks!

Free Chlorine- .07 ppm
    total Chlorine .19 ppm
    Combined .12 ppm
    ph 6.3
    Hardness 180 ppm
    Alkalinity 0
    Cyanuric Acid 109 ppm
    Copper .6 ppm
    Iron .3 ppm
    Borate 18 ppm
    OK, those are the pool store numbers, what did you get with your test kit? We really don't trust pool store testing.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

I didn't know that! I guess I wrongly assumed they were accurate, I didn't even test it myself--I have my kit, but can I test now after all the baking soda I put in or do I need to wait?
    LAST TIME I'M GOING TO POOL STORE!

what should I do? I made a beautiful looking pool, super cloudy, aaaah! Ok thanks!
    IG -Vinyl with Waterfall
    Pentair DE 60 Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

You would think they would be better, but unfortunately not. I trust your numbers having never done a test more than theirs.

Yes, as long as the pump has been running go,ahead and break open that new test kit. Which one do you have?

And the idea to stay away for. The pool store is a good one. We will teach you to save money by showing at WalMart and Lowes.

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome Adam!

Right away there is a huge gaping hole in those numbers. It is against the laws of physics to have 0 TA and 6.3 pH. Strictly impossible. One thing we teach is learn your testing, and trust your own results. Begin spending some time in pool school and start with the ABCs. Knowledge is the key and once you build some, this stuff is really easy.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Welcome Adam!

Right away there is a huge gaping hole in those numbers. It is against the laws of physics to have 0 TA and 6.3 pH. Strictly impossible. One thing we teach is learn your testing, and trust your own results. Begin spending some time in pool school and start with the ABCs. Knowledge is the key and once you build some, this stuff is really easy.
    there you go, pointing out issues. But, is it the laws of physics or chemistry?

10. Back To Top    #10

Oh my god, thanks guys. Ok I will test myself, I have the taylor k-2006 complete;
    I am assuming I put in too much baking soda, I know you will wait for my results but I will be able to fix that? Is there anything I need to go buy, I need to run out now if there is something;
    I have bleach, shock, borax already...thank you!
    IG -Vinyl with Waterfall
    Pentair DE 60 Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Hold off on any more additions until we get some numbers. No worries, we can help line you out when you get some solid readings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    there you go, pointing out issues. But, is it the laws of physics or chemistry?

Take your pick, they are a little tough to seperate, but it really depends on who you ask.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

ok used my kit for first time, it wasnt bad and really regretting not doing this in first place!! Ok cant go back, hopefully you will help me going forward!

Heres what I found:
    The free chlorine did not turn color at all!

The PH was a dark purple, higher than 8 I'm thinking and I put a bunch of the acid test and it was not changing

For the Alkanny it took 14 drops at that spot its 140--sound accurate?

Calcium Hardness, 300;

ok now what? Shock? Bleach?
    Thank you for your help!!
    IG -Vinyl with Waterfall
    Pentair DE 60 Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Step one, get the pH down. That takes muratic acid. I'd like to see 7.5

Step two, chlorine - add some bleach

Pool Math is your friend. Plug in your numbers and it will guide you to your additions.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

in the future, it's easier on our eyes if you report your findings like this

FC
    pH
    TA
    CH

14. Back To Top    #14

Unhappy Re: Please Help!

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Step one, get the pH down. That takes muratic acid. I'd like to see 7.5

Step two, chlorine - add some bleach

Pool Math is your friend. Plug in your numbers and it will guide you to your additions.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

in the future, it's easier on our eyes if you report your findings lie this

FC
    pH
    TA
    CH

Ok thanks..quick questions:

I will do the muratic acid, do I wait to do the bleach until the ph is down? Also, I have vinyl pool, muratic acid is safe, correct?

Also, I think I inaccurately described it as cloudy, its more like soapy from too much baking soda (the fresh birst smell no less- I am so mad at myself!!), will this go away, should I drain some of the water first or just follow your steps?

Thank you again, hope we get to use the pool this weekend
    IG -Vinyl with Waterfall
    Pentair DE 60 Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Well, I missed one thing, but so did you. What did the CYA test reveal for you. The pool store said 109 (nothing is that exact). But you didn't give me a number from your test. The CYA level is what controls how much FC you need to keep in the pool. So, tomorrow,when the sun is nice and bright do a CYA test. It works best when sunny.

If if it is high, the. Yes you need to replace some water before you start worrying about other levels.

Sorry I missed it.....

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing we suggest will harm your liner if you follow the instructions. For most additions , pouring chemicals slowly in front of a return with the pump running will disperse the chemical so no damage will occur.

16. Back To Top    #16

Well, I have added the muratic acid, will re-test everything in the morning, including cya.
    What level would cya be at for you to tell me to drain some water? how much water do you drain at one time?

Feeling quite discouraged. Woke up this morning with crystal clear nice looking pool water; now it looks like soapy mess that I made!
    I hope I can fix this water and get 2nd chance, I am feeling much more comfortable with test kit!
    Thank you everyone for your help.
    IG -Vinyl with Waterfall
    Pentair DE 60 Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

We have fixed much worse pools than yours.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles to read
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

One sec...

Are you sure you used baking soda? Googling Baking Soda Fresh Burst all I came up with was laundry detergent.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

19. Back To Top    #19

I agree with Deb. I've never heard of "fresh burst" baking soda. In fact I've never heard of anything added to the name of baking soda. And you keep saying "soapy mess". Did you add Arm and Hammer brand laundry something or another?
    15'x30' oval AGP. 12000 gal. 1 HP pentair pump. 19 inch sand filter.
    Auto vacuum thing that works through skimmer. Solar cover.
    OLD 400ish gallon Cal Spa hot tub with two new pumps (ouch)

20. Back To Top    #20

Adam,

check out the package, was it baking soda or detergent?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast