Help! Pump repair gone wrong!

TexGmn

May 22, 2015
Killeen, TX
I have an in ground pool with a vinyl liner and a Hayward Super-pump with sand filtration. When I bought the house 10 years ago the pool was already there and we just did repairs as we went along. I replaced the original sand filter with a new larger unit approximately 4 years ago. The newer filter is about 1.5 times larger..I'm not sure how much sand it holds but I seem to remember the number 200 being mentioned. At the time of the sand filter being replaced new piping was installed as the original pipes were smaller (plastic pipes-not the water lines). I had a small crack/ leak in the wet side of the pump where the basket sits so it was patched up with silicon weld and life was good -I thought.

As time went on the small crack went from a drop to a trickle and finally a full blown leak. It only leaked when the pump was off and I always blew air out of the basket so I thought I's watch it and I did. Last summer it became a major problem so I shut down the pool early and then I got a new wet pump side to install for this summer. Well, last week I installed the new wet side basket and voila! no leaks! I was thrilled and then....it happened... My pool pump motor blew the circuit breaker and overheated. I then bought a new motor-Century UST1102 1 HP (yes I know the original one was a 3/4 HP but I was trying to accommodate the larger filter). The new one was put on last night and all is well for about an hour then it too overheated and shut off. We have checked the valves and water flow and nothing seems clogged. We did shut down some of the flow rate and that seemed to help some but the motor still sounds like it's struggling and that confuses me because I know it's more powerful than the original one. I'm thinking something is wrong with the AMPS or voltage being pulled but I don't know how to start looking at that. It didn't blow the breaker this time -it just shut off.

Right now I'm not sure what to do.....UGH! I know it's probably something simple but I can't seem to figure it out! My boyfriend who is my pool guy is a machinist and he is stymied as to why this is an issue as it was the exact same model that was on before. We can't help but think that maybe the pressure is somehow an issue. Would back flowing the sand filter help? He did some backwashing of it but I don't know for how long.

Krystal

No, when we pulled off the old one the impeller looked okay so we just got a new motor. As far as we can tell it's ok but of course... How do you know which one to get? Can you get one at any pool supply store like Leslies?

Thanks for the help!

Krystal

The impellers are usually matched to a specific motor hp. If you change the pump, the impeller is usually changed to a different size for the new motor hp. Putting a 3/4 hp motor behind a 1hp rated impeller will cause the motor to overheat because it's trying to move more water than its meant to handle. Going up in hp like you did shouldn't cause an overheating problem, but I suppose it's possible.
Look up replacement parts for your pump model, and you'll see different part numbers for the different impellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.