Hayward sand filter allowing CYA granules into pool

May 12, 2015
Mason City, IA
I'm a pool newb so maybe this is normal, but I've recently completed a Baquacil to chlorine conversion and I've been adding CYA to the skimmer to bring the level up. I did a sand replacement last night and added some CYA afterward. I noticed there was a decent amount of CYA granules exiting the return jet. If this is normal, how does that happen? Basically, it'd have to bypass the filter lateral fingers, right? If this isn't normal, what could be wrong? I checked all of the fingers in the filter and they were fine, none were broken. I appreciate any advice, thanks in advance!

I am pretty sure you are supposed to put the stabilizer in an old sock and place it in front of a return or in the skimmer- you need to "milk" it once or twice a day or the process will take forever. They CYA that you add will not register in testing until approx. one week.

There is something wrong there if anything visible to the naked eye is coming out the returns. You don't accidentally have the multiport set to recirc do you? Check for any dribbles out the waste pipe when it isn't on waste or backwash. If you do, your problem is with the multiport valve. If it's okay, then something inside the filter is bad. It could be channeled, which can be fixed by a deep cleaning and breaking up the clods. Or there's a problem with the innards - something not seated fully, something cracked.

Those granules will settle out and might leave little freckles on the pool surface because CYA is acidic. The instant the filter is fixed, vacuum them up. Meanwhile, brush things around a bit so they don't sit in the same spot all the time.

And next time, follow the instructions for adding stuff in Recommended Pool Chemicals! If you dismantle the filter or deep clean, any CYA that didn't blow into the pool will be lost. Literally money down the drain.

Have you purchased a good testing kit- one of those recommended on this site? I bought the T100 and the mixer (love that thing) and it gives very accurate readings. Good luck!

Yes, I got the K-2006 and it's been working great!

- - - Updated - - -

There is something wrong there if anything visible to the naked eye is coming out the returns. You don't accidentally have the multiport set to recirc do you? Check for any dribbles out the waste pipe when it isn't on waste or backwash. If you do, your problem is with the multiport valve. If it's okay, then something inside the filter is bad. It could be channeled, which can be fixed by a deep cleaning and breaking up the clods. Or there's a problem with the innards - something not seated fully, something cracked.

Those granules will settle out and might leave little freckles on the pool surface because CYA is acidic. The instant the filter is fixed, vacuum them up. Meanwhile, brush things around a bit so they don't sit in the same spot all the time.

And next time, follow the instructions for adding stuff in Recommended Pool Chemicals! If you dismantle the filter or deep clean, any CYA that didn't blow into the pool will be lost. Literally money down the drain.

I checked all of the obvious things, like the valve position and everything was fine. I've ordered a new valve to try out. I followed the instructions on the CYA bottle, but wish they would have mentioned the sock idea that Darren35 posted above. I did that with what I had left of the CYA and it worked perfect. Live and learn!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.