Save The Swamp! Er, pool...

May 22, 2015
Carlisle, PA
Hi all, complete newbie pool owner here. My wife and I bought our first house back in November and of course it came with a pool. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and tend to research the heck out of everything, so when I found TFP it was a big relief. I've read everything in Pool School at least twice now (and probably will for a third or fourth before its all said and done). Our goal is to have this thing up and usable by June 6th for my son's 3rd birthday party.

Anyway, over the winter I peeked under the cover and could still see the bottom of the pool. Fast forward 7 months and it has mutated into a full on swamp. Although it matches the grass nicely, I would really like to be able to see the bottom (and whatever critters are tooling around in there).

Based on what I've read here, I feel much more confident that we can save this thing before something grows legs and crawls out of it. I've ordered a Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD kit that is out for delivery today so no test results to post yet but I will have some this evening hopefully. I need to get more DE filter media this afternoon so I'm also going to take a sample to the PS and post those results in addition to the results from the test kit.

Now the info you guys really want to see:
30' round
21,200 gallon
Above ground, vinyl lined
Hayward EC50 DE filter
Hayward 1HP Matrix pump
2006? build, the wife said she saw a sticker on the side that said 2006
Taylor Technologies K-2006 FAS/DPD test kit
Accessories: 1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog :p
Well water supply, no restrictions

I have no idea what, if anything, the previous owners did to winterize it other than just removing and draining the pump/filter unit. I'm really hoping the CYA is at a reasonable level since its already going to take massive amounts of bleach to hit shock level. I have reinstalled the pump/filter unit and of course I have a bunch of small leaks at all the threaded connections now that it's full. So, that leads me to my first question, now that the water level is up to the skimmer box, how do I disconnect the hoses without losing a couple thousand gallons of water so that I can reseal all of the connections? Also, the filter manual says do not run for more than 1 minute without DE, do I just start scooping DE into the skimmer immediately when I start the pump?

Once the pump is sealed up and we have some test results, we are planning to start a SLAM on Sunday morning since we will both be around the house all day Sunday and Monday. We'll be using standard bleach so I hope the local Wal-Mart is ready...

Last edited:
You may have a Green pool, but you're entering perfectly. Welcome to TFP!!

I would suggest ordering some more FAS/DPD reagent right away because you are going to either run out, or not have enough for the rest of summer before this is done. Get more 870 powder, and 871 Titrating drops at minimum.

Go ahead & post up some full results, and get started on this today if you can. It's getting worse by the hour if you wait. You want to adjust your pH and Cya before you hit hard with the FC, so don't forget that part. Sorry if you know that, but it's overlooked a lot. Let us know when you need some help, and please post up some pics as you move forward. We love em. Good luck on the SLAM!

Hi all, complete newbie pool owner here. My wife and I bought our first house back in November and of course it came with a pool. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and tend to research the heck out of everything, so when I found TFP it was a big relief. I've read everything in Pool School at least twice now (and probably will for a third or fourth before its all said and done). Our goal is to have this thing up and usable by June 6th for my son's 3rd birthday party.
Very feasible. Thank goodness you didn't say by Monday! :eek:

Anyway, over the winter I peeked under the cover and could still see the bottom of the pool. Fast forward 7 months and it has mutated into a full on swamp. Although it matches the grass nicely, I would really like to be able to see the bottom (and whatever critters are tooling around in there).

View attachment 36789
Excellent! There won't be fifty pounds of waterlogged compost on the floor.
Based on what I've read here, I feel much more confident that we can save this thing before something grows legs and crawls out of it. I've ordered a Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD kit that is out for delivery today so no test results to post yet but I will have some this evening hopefully. I need to get more DE filter media this afternoon so I'm also going to take a sample to the PS and post those results in addition to the results from the test kit.
Why bother? They're not going to match yours.

Now the info you guys really want to see:
30' round
21,200 gallon
Above ground, vinyl lined
Hayward EC50 DE filter
Hayward 1HP Matrix pump
2006? build, the wife said she saw a sticker on the side that said 2006
Taylor Technologies K-2006 FAS/DPD test kit
Accessories: 1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog :p
Well water supply, no restrictions

I have no idea what, if anything, the previous owners did to winterize it other than just removing and draining the pump/filter unit. I'm really hoping the CYA is at a reasonable level since its already going to take massive amounts of bleach to hit shock level. I have reinstalled the pump/filter unit and of course I have a bunch of small leaks at all the threaded connections now that it's full. So, that leads me to my first question, now that the water level is up to the skimmer box, how do I disconnect the hoses without losing a couple thousand gallons of water so that I can reseal all of the connections? Also, the filter manual says do not run for more than 1 minute without DE, do I just start scooping DE into the skimmer immediately when I start the pump?
A cork, a rubber stopper, perhaps a carrot or potato whittled down the right size should plug the openings.
Once the pump is sealed up and we have some test results, we are planning to start a SLAM on Sunday morning since we will both be around the house all day Sunday and Monday. We'll be using standard bleach so I hope the local Wal-Mart is ready...
I'd start Saturday night and let the bleach get to the algae before the sun gets to the bleach. And this time of year a lot of places have "liquid shock" or "pool chlorine" on sale. You're an engineer; crunch some numbers and see if the cost for percent-ounce works out cheaper that way. And DO read labels. Walmart Warning.

I would suggest ordering some more FAS/DPD reagent right away because you are going to either run out, or not have enough for the rest of summer before this is done. Get more 870 powder, and 871 Titrating drops at minimum.

I was concerned about that and wanted to get the K-2006 Commercial kit but couldn't get it here as fast as the regular size kit.

Go ahead & post up some full results, and get started on this today if you can. It's getting worse by the hour if you wait. You want to adjust your pH and Cya before you hit hard with the FC, so don't forget that part. Sorry if you know that, but it's overlooked a lot. Let us know when you need some help, and please post up some pics as you move forward. We love em. Good luck on the SLAM!

I probably won't have the test kit until late this afternoon or evening so it will be later until I can full results posted. My wife and I are both going to be away most of this evening and all day tomorrow so I didn't feel it was a good idea to start today and risk clogging the filter and burning up a pump. I do know that the pH and CYA need adjusted first, which is another reason I want to wait.

Yeah, I would definitely start tonight if you get your kit. If your CYA and pH are manageable, you can start hitting it with chlorine ASAP.
Like Richard said above, look for your best deal on chlorine, you need to compare price/volume/strength.

Based on your location, you have an Ollie's near you. $2.99/gallon for 12.5%, you're not going to likely find a better deal than that. If it was me, I'd run over there today and pick up 3 cases. As long as you store it inside it will last.

Good Luck! Anxious to see your test results and your pool clear and ready to go.

Very feasible. Thank goodness you didn't say by Monday! :eek:

I am somewhat reasonable LOL. This is chemistry not magic...

Excellent! There won't be fifty pounds of waterlogged compost on the floor.

There's likely some at this point. The birds destroyed the cheap winter cover that it had but the cover seemed to keep most of the big stuff out.

A cork, a rubber stopper, perhaps a carrot or potato whittled down the right size should plug the openings.

Haha, ok. So just yank the hoses off and plug them as quick as possible. I can do that.

I'd start Saturday night and let the bleach get to the algae before the sun gets to the bleach. And this time of year a lot of places have "liquid shock" or "pool chlorine" on sale. You're an engineer; crunch some numbers and see if the cost for percent-ounce works out cheaper that way. And DO read labels. Walmart Warning.

If I get home early enough to get some bleach Saturday night that might be possible. I would prefer to get some higher percentage liquid shock or pool chlorine but NONE of the local stores (pool or otherwise) carry liquid. My mom just started a new job with one of the pool companies a few towns over and she said they don't even keep the stuff around and they're one of the biggest in the area. So, bleach it is. I've been running the calculation for price per actual ounce of sodium hypochlorite anytime I'm looking at the bleach.

Yeah, I would definitely start tonight if you get your kit. If your CYA and pH are manageable, you can start hitting it with chlorine ASAP.
Like Richard said above, look for your best deal on chlorine, you need to compare price/volume/strength.

Based on your location, you have an Ollie's near you. $2.99/gallon for 12.5%, you're not going to likely find a better deal than that. If it was me, I'd run over there today and pick up 3 cases. As long as you store it inside it will last.

Good Luck! Anxious to see your test results and your pool clear and ready to go.

THANK YOU! I'll be running straight to Ollie's after work. I've got plenty of storage so I'll be buying as much as they'll let me take. But, I'm going to be away most of the evening and all day tomorrow so starting now probably isn't the best idea...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
THANK YOU! I'll be running straight to Ollie's after work. I've got plenty of storage so I'll be buying as much as they'll let me take. But, I'm going to be away most of the evening and all day tomorrow so starting now probably isn't the best idea...

You have to be careful not to buy too much, the stronger the strength, the quicker it degrades, especially in the heat. Don't buy out the store.. lol.

Also, be sure to get an Ollie's card. I just got a coupon for 15% off anything. That really drops the price.

Haha, ok. So just yank the hoses off and plug them as quick as possible. I can do that.

From the inside of the skimmer.... ;-)

Probably not necessary to say but your sentence gives me a totally different mental picture and I don't think trying to shove something in from the outside would ever hold against the water pressure.

Hey, welcome to TFP! Can you tell how much we love that you did some research ahead of time? It's awesome when someone has their kit on order or already in hand since most everyone wants to start right away and it just can't be done without the a good test kit.

Happy SLAMming! :-D

You have to be careful not to buy too much, the stronger the strength, the quicker it degrades, especially in the heat. Don't buy out the store.. lol.

Also, be sure to get an Ollie's card. I just got a coupon for 15% off anything. That really drops the price.

Gotcha. I'll base how much I get off of what I need to get it to shock level and keep it there for a couple days.

- - - Updated - - -

Even if you don't start the SLAM process tonight, you can at least test and get some numbers to post so we can help you on your next steps. Congrats on your test kit and welcome to TFP!

That's the plan. Will get test results as soon as the brown truck shows up.

From the inside of the skimmer.... ;-)

Probably not necessary to say but your sentence gives me a totally different mental picture and I don't think trying to shove something in from the outside would ever hold against the water pressure.

Well that makes more sense. :crazy: I didn't think about the skimmer since its under the deck and pretty difficult to get to.

Hey, welcome to TFP! Can you tell how much we love that you did some research ahead of time? It's awesome when someone has their kit on order or already in hand since most everyone wants to start right away and it just can't be done without the a good test kit.

Thanks for the welcome! Something, something, pool owner's patience... I'm an engineer, I refuse to start anything without data.

OK guys and gals, finally home for the rest of the weekend and ready to start the SLAM. Had to spend the better part of the day sealing up leaky filter plumbing but I think we're ready to run now.

Here are the initial test results:

My Results (K-2006):
FC: 0ppm, added 5 scoops of R-0870, never turned pink
CC: 0ppm, added R-0003, never turned color
pH: 7.4-7.5
TA: 130ppm
CH: 260ppm
CYA: <30ppm, sample did not turn cloudy after filling with reagent, filled tube to the top and black dot never disappeared

Pool Store Results (ClearCare Computer Analysis):
FC: 0.06ppm
TC: 0.09ppm
CC: 0.03ppm
pH: 7.5
TA: 117ppm
CH: 331ppm
CYA: 3ppm
Copper: 0ppm
Iron: 0.1ppm

I have 16 gallons of 12.5% liquid shock and 4lbs of granular stabilizer to get me started. If I did my math right, I should need only 2 gallons of shock to bring the FC to 12ppm shock level. However, the 4 lbs of stabilizer will only bring the CYA up to just over 20ppm. The pool gets little to no shade and is directly in the sun all day. Do I need more stabilizer or should I add what I have, SLAM the pool, and add more if I need to after the SLAM is finished?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.