Save The Swamp! Er, pool...

Added about 2 quarts of 12.5% at 5pm when I got home this evening because my wife had been out and the FC dropped to 8ppm. Was hoping for different results but the test just showed it back down to 8.5ppm so the gremlins are still stealing my chlorine. Just added 3 more quarts to bump it up a bit. I'm just about out of R-0871 and my reorder isn't scheduled to be delivered until Saturday. Was really hoping to be done with the SLAM before going away this weekend but I can't confirm the OCLT without more reagent. :|

But, it looks like a pool finally.

Do you have anyone that can pour bleach in at least once a day while you are gone.

How high is your CYA? If it is not too high you can use a couple of pucks to help hold your levels.

Kim

My sister is going to be coming over to take care of the animals so yes. Considering she has already stated that she will probably be using it more than we will, she's going to be taking care of the pool too. It hasn't been consuming FC at a ridiculous pace so we should be able to get away with adding a quart or two a few times throughout the day. CYA is assumed to be 20 since I added enough stabilizer to bring it up to that last Sunday. Will be testing CYA again when I get home this Sunday.

Well, the pool is clear and my CC seems to be staying below 0.5ppm (most of the tests have been zero but last night showed 0.5ppm likely because we haven't been able to vacuum). The biggest concern is that I haven't been able to do an OCLT since it's been solid thunderstorms and rain since we got home on Sunday night. Should I try to keep the FC at shock level until I can test or can I begin to let it drift down to normal levels as long as I keep an eye on it to see if its being used up? Which brings me to another question, how can I tell if my FC is being used up or just diluted from all the rain? As of last night the water level had risen well above the middle of the skimmer opening so I'll probably be trying to pump some out tonight (wish I had a way to store it until August when I'll need to add it all back in).

Well, the pool is clear and my CC seems to be staying below 0.5ppm (most of the tests have been zero but last night showed 0.5ppm likely because we haven't been able to vacuum). The biggest concern is that I haven't been able to do an OCLT since it's been solid thunderstorms and rain since we got home on Sunday night. Should I try to keep the FC at shock level until I can test or can I begin to let it drift down to normal levels as long as I keep an eye on it to see if its being used up? Which brings me to another question, how can I tell if my FC is being used up or just diluted from all the rain? As of last night the water level had risen well above the middle of the skimmer opening so I'll probably be trying to pump some out tonight (wish I had a way to store it until August when I'll need to add it all back in).

rain doesn't affect your FC or other levels. its pure water. the percentage increase in water level is very small. if your pool is 4 feet deep and you get a 2" of rain, that's only a 4% increase in volume. not enough to even be able to test. your test measures in 0.5ppm increments. If your FC is a 8ppm, it would take a 3" rain event to lower it by 0.5ppm. a 3" rain event is substantial and not very common...unless you live in Texas right now.

don't worry about the rain.

I have found that a big rain lowers my pool temp. and increases my PH. If I have to drain some water due to the amount of rain I also check my FC and CYA as I am dumping it out so it goes down.

Just do a full test after each big rain event and see what YOUR pool does! Each pool is different.

Kim

Just do a full test after each big rain event and see what YOUR pool does! Each pool is different.

Kim

Ok, thanks. Just concerned since I haven't been able to officially declare the SLAM completed without the OCLT (which there's no point in doing until I vacuum out all the junk that keeps blowing into the pool). According to the forecast the rain is going to continue non-stop until Sunday which also means we won't be able to use the pool for my son's party. :thumbdown:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, thanks. Just concerned since I haven't been able to officially declare the SLAM completed without the OCLT (which there's no point in doing until I vacuum out all the junk that keeps blowing into the pool). According to the forecast the rain is going to continue non-stop until Sunday which also means we won't be able to use the pool for my son's party. :thumbdown:

why? I love swimming in the rain!

We can still see the bottom. The water level was up to and spilling out of the top of the skimmer bucket. So, since that needed to be lowered, I started my small utility pump which wasn't doing much. I figured I might be able to use the vacuum hose to get a siphon going and get a bit higher flow rate out of the pool. Well the hose wouldn't stay submerged without the vacuum attached so since I had that hooked up and a good siphon running I did a really redneck "vac-to-waste" and got a bunch of the debris off the bottom. I can't keep up with the leaves that are blowing off the trees but the water is still nice and clear. Going to run the filter overnight again tonight.

Test Results from tonight:
FC: 6.0ppm (25mL test)
CC: 0.0ppm (25mL test)
pH: 7.6 (up from rain, expected)
TA: 140ppm (down from rain, expected)
CH: 300ppm (need to re-test, not sure I mixed thoroughly enough at the beginning)
CYA: ~20ppm (filled to top of tube, dot just barely visible)

Ran the filter all day yesterday and checked FC before bed and it was at 6ppm. Checked again this morning and it was down to 5.5ppm. So we're within the 1ppm window for OCLT but I want to measure that with the 25mL sample. There's still a bunch of debris in the pool from all the storms and I noticed half a robin egg shell at the bottom this morning so hopefully I can get an hour or two to vacuum this evening. Haven't bothered taking any pictures since the pool doesn't look very impressive in the grey and dreary weather right now.

The fact that you can see a robin egg shell is not to be ignored!!

SWEET!!

Nope, because it wasn't there yesterday which means that my fake owl isn't doing his job and keeping the birds away. :pth:

Did a full retest tonight. Results are as follows:
FC: 5.5ppm (It was 6 last night and 5.5 this morning 11 hours ago and I only added 1 qt so that's pretty good. Going to bring it up just above the top end of normal level with the new CYA.)
CC: 0ppm
pH: 7.6-7.7ish
TA: 110ppm
CH: 310ppm
CYA: ~20ppm

So, since I've gotten about 20ppm for CYA twice in a row I decided to put in another 4lbs of stabilizer so that should bring the total up to about 43ppm. Will retest in a week.

I'm concerned about the fact that my TA is slowly dropping and my CH and pH are increasing. It has been raining steadily all week and I know that aeration at a low pH will decrease TA so that may explain those two. But what about the CH?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.