Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backflow preventer for autofill

1. Back To Top    #1

Backflow preventer for autofill

I am getting an autofill, and when I asked my PB whether that was coming with a backflow preventer he said no. Although it may very well be required by Code (and perhaps he was obligated to give me one), he told me he would install one for $100. I agreed. My question is whether there are different versions or varieties, and if anyone has a specific recomendation for one. I would offer my PB more if I thought there was a better one than the one he is giving me because I think this is very important. I haven't yet asked him what I am getting, so I don't know his plans. Below is a picture of the pipeelading to my hose bib. As you can see he hasn't hooked it up all the way to the bib yet.

IMG_1637 - Copy.jpg
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backflow preventer for autofill

of course it depends on your local codes, but for connecting a backflow preventer to a hose spigot, the solution could be a simple as a 'screw on' device like in this link. At least where I live, this meets city code. The issue with hose bib PVB's is that are not designed to be underst constant pressure for long periods of time and generally spring a leak.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_11jro5zct3_b

Then there is this, such as is used on irrigation systems
    http://www.supplyhouse.com/Watts-038...FYI-aQodPgMARw

Double check valves may also be accepted as a backflow preventer.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Backflow preventer for autofill

Thanks Dave.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping