Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Initial Raypak 406A impression

1. Back To Top    #1

Initial Raypak 406A impression

I have a newly installed Raypak 406A Electric Iginition which replaced a 15 y/o Hayward H400 Millivolt. My first experience, and just about everyone else's with the Hayward (about 5 years ago), was "Wow that heater really works", when I placed my hand in front of a return. With the Raypak, it's more like, ehhh, it's warm but nothing like the Hayward. Do I have scientific proof? No, just my fingers, but I'm a little disappointed. Can somebody explain the difference? In case you are wondering, I haven't changed anything else but the heater.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Initial Raypak 406A impression

All things being equal I can't say to be honest. Is the water temp entering the heater now the same as it was before when you felt it?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

When you first start heating the pool the difference in the temperatures from return and water feel like there is a small rise in temp.Once the water gets warmer the difference seems to feel more pronounced.
    16x32 vinyl ig with foxguard steel walls,gli liner ,hayward de filter,hayward heatpro heat pump,hayward colorlogic 4.0 led.pentair circular weir skimmers.hayward sharkvac xl robot,gli mesh cover.polk atrium speakers,sonos music system.erie pa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Again, I don't have any scientific proof, but I usually would turn the heater on when the water temp was around 75, it's around 71 now. I guess I will see how much difference those 4 degrees make this weekend. I will update the thread either way.

thanks!
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You shouldn't get super heated water coming out as that could be an issue with someone "maybe" getting hurt. There are several things that could be a factor why you feel what you feel especially seeing the Hayward was 15 yo. One being the location of the heat exchanger with regards to the burners. A little further away on the new unit and maybe your old unit the flame height was really high for some reason. I wouldn't go messing with any of it though.

Raypak performs great compared to some of the brands out there. I just put one in for a customer yesterday and he was looking forward to not hearing a blower motor running while it was on. Although his neighbor has a newer Hayward so he'll still have to hear theirs when it's running.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

I have to say that I'm really happy with the heating capabilities! My water temp was 67 at 10:30am on Saturday when I turned on the heater (set to heat til 80). When I got home around 7pm, it had already reached the target...way faster than than my old heater would've done it...saving me $$$ on my gas bill.

Again, this is not scientific, but my old heater would warm up the water by about a degree an hour, this one does it much faster. I don't understand how as I am totally convinced that, with the Hayward, the water coming from the returns was warmer. Obviously, I'm missing something, but the important thing is that I'm happy!

thanks to everyone who takes time to respond to questions in forums, your answers make my life easier!