New Pool Owner - Can't hold chlorine

May 22, 2015
Chalfont, PA
New pool owner here...

Just ditched the pool guy after I got a Taylor 2006 test kit and tested the pool at a CYA of over 200ppm (and the pool guy said that wasn't an issue). Ended up doing a drain / refill and some initial balancing with dry acid and calcium chloride (over the last 2 days) - currently have the following:

FC 3.0ppm
CC 0.2ppm
TA 70
CH 240
PH 7.5
CYA 35

It was 4:30am when I just tested (no sun out) - when I got the 3.0ppm FC reading. Challenge is that it was at 6.5ppm at 10:00pm last night when there was also no sun - so a loss of 3.5ppm in the absence of light. Given this, FC loss, shouldn't my CC be might higher than 0.2ppm? Do I need to shock / SLAM the pool? My plan is to keep the pool @ 14ppm FC for a while, but not sure if I should be doing something else. Can I really have algae growing that quickly in freshly added water when the water temperature is around 64F?

Any guidance / thoughts would be appreciated!

Good job getting your test kit and removing your pool guy. You will not believe how clear your pool will be once it is happy.

The FC loss does point to the need for a SLAM. Your low CC just points to the fact it will not be too long before your pool is happy again.

How does your pool look now?

WELCOME!

Kim

Thanks for the quick reply!

Pool looks crystal clear. Then again, its looked that clear since Monday when it was opened.

Hopefully won't have to SLAM for all that long.

Side question - the pool has a Nature 2 Pro vessel. Does it make sense to use it while i get the hang of taking care of the pool by myself? Supposedly it allows a 0.5 maintenace level for FC. I know its not BBB; but am wondering if a safety net is in order for season #1.

I would not use the mineral pack as it adds stuff to your pool that it really does not need and can cause problems-green hair, etc.

Really it is so easy to do it the TFP way.

Look around your area. Shop bleach/chlorine for YOUR best price. For some it is Walmart's great value bleach (only the plain kind), some it is Sams club bleach in the 3 pack, for me it is my local ACE Hardware for their 11% chlorine (using their jugs I "rent"). Make sure it is fresh (Lowes and such tends to have older bleach that has lost some of it's power). If the % is not listed it is not worth you while (some dollar store bleach is on 2 or 3%).

After a while you will know what your pool needs BEFORE you test! You will be able to just look at it and know. Then you test and use pool math to see just how much you need to feed your pool.

Kim

Welcome! :wave:

You could be heading off an algae bloom before it starts to show as cloudiness or green. You have the right idea, hold it at shock level until it stops losing overnight. But don't forget to brush everything. Beneath stair rungs and behind the light are very common hiding spots. And the skimmer throat. We've had a couple people fight the chlorine loss for a week after the pool was sparkling only to discover the light niches was packed with algae sludge.

You might beat it in a day if you stay on top of it.

One more thing, you should switch to the 10 ml sample size for your FC / CC test where each drop counts for .5 ppm, instead of the 25ml sample, it will save you lots of reagent and drop counting, as .5 ppm is plenty of resolution given most pools loose 2-3 ppm per day to sunlight.

Thanks all for the tips!

@Kimkats: You just saved me some $$ - thanks! The Ace near me normally sells 10% @ $6/gal. For Memorial Day, had it on sale for $2.50 - well below the HDX I bought from Home Depot at $2.99 for 8.25%. For the last round, would've gotten the Walmart 8.25% at $2.94 or Target at $2.94 + 5% rewards off, but both were out of stock and I didn't want to wait until my FC dropped even lower! Almost turned the in-line chlorinator back on as an emergency measure... In either case, just stocked up on the stuff @ Ace. Even if it drops in strength, still cheaper than my other options during this sale!

@ Richard320: Does the chlorine not get into those crevices "automatically"? I don't have any hardware in the pool except for the lights, returns, and drains - everything else is the concrete / plaster. I suppose I better go buy a brush for the lights...

@ Isaac-1: Yup, switched earlier - just used the 25mL sample so I could figure out the CC level with more granularity on that specific testing cycle. I also only ever use one little dipper of that DPD powder. If you have any other reagent saving tips - I'd be happy to hear them!

Again - thanks everybody!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.