New pool owner here...
Just ditched the pool guy after I got a Taylor 2006 test kit and tested the pool at a CYA of over 200ppm (and the pool guy said that wasn't an issue). Ended up doing a drain / refill and some initial balancing with dry acid and calcium chloride (over the last 2 days) - currently have the following:
It was 4:30am when I just tested (no sun out) - when I got the 3.0ppm FC reading. Challenge is that it was at 6.5ppm at 10:00pm last night when there was also no sun - so a loss of 3.5ppm in the absence of light. Given this, FC loss, shouldn't my CC be might higher than 0.2ppm? Do I need to shock / SLAM the pool? My plan is to keep the pool @ 14ppm FC for a while, but not sure if I should be doing something else. Can I really have algae growing that quickly in freshly added water when the water temperature is around 64F?
Any guidance / thoughts would be appreciated!