Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Unfortunate events

1. Back To Top    #1

Unfortunate events

So I came home today to find that my pump had been running dry for roughly 10 hours. It got so hot that the water inside the hose was steaming. Apparently when it turns off it also loses its prime and never got it back.

So, from what I've read I must begin the search for an air leak and possibly install a check valve as well. I'm having a hard time locating the correct gaskets for my S244T filter...any suggestions?

Any suggestions regarding recommended check valves, places other than the filter to look for leaks, etc. would also be highly appreciated. I may end up replacing my pump now that most seals have likely cooked themselves to death...if so I'll go VS for sure!
    Polar Pools, 19' x 39' Vinyl Lined IG, 3' to 9' deep, 33,300 Gallons?
    Pentair Intelliflo VS, Hayward Sand Filter Model # S244T, Compupool SWG, Heliocol Solar Heating
    K-2006 test kit, 1766 Salt Test Kit , Taylor SpeedStir
    Built in 2009, Salt Lake City, UT.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Unfortunate events

I don't haveanyanswers for you, but wanted to say I am very sorry for your misfortune.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

I had a similar situation, though not as severe, happen to my pump last year. My multiport valve apparently has a tiny air leak where the handle enters the top of the valve. I couldn't figure out where it was leaking from at the time, so I put a check valve about a foot before the pump in the suction line. That way, even with an air leak after the pump, the pump stays full of water so it never loses prime. Others recommend a check valve between the pump and the filter, which would've worked in my case, but I like the assurance that the pump stays full even if there was a leak on a union or the lid of the pump. I can't help with the filter parts.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, I spent my day replacing a large majority of the plumbing and also put in a shiny new Pentair Intelliflo VS pump.

I can only hope that prevents future problems! My Taylor test kit also showed up today in the mail, so it looks like I have some good times ahead.