Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My water is blue!

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

My water is blue!

I have pictures posted on my Facebook page. Once I got the chems in balance, I decided to tackle the black ring around the edge. Used crushed vitamin c to verify metal stain. Continued to use the "c" to clean the ring. Ordered 5lbs of citric acid, since it's 3 times cheaper than "c". Distributed about 2 lbs of it around the pool. After 12 hours the ring is gone. The brownish stains are gone. The water is Blue!

What should I do about this?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: My water is blue!

Go if it is warm enough and your pool is balanced
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Question Re: My water is blue!

Can't get images to show here...

But when I say Blue I mean BLUE. Like it's blue even in a clear glass, glass!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

5. Back To Top    #5

I saw it and it IS blue. Quite lovely.

I don't know the answer to what you should do. I wonder what bring your water up to SLAM level for a couple of days will do. Here is a link for how to SLAM.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl

Can you please give us your test results and how you are testing your water. That will be a big help.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, I missed something here entirely. If you just did a metal treatment with AA or citric acid don't slam/shock. Slowly bring your FC back up...it will fight the citric acid for a while so you have to keep checking and adding a bit at a time...but shocking/slamming/adding too much chlorine at once can cause the stains to return. That's because high levels of chlorine oxidize metals in the water.

Are you saying that you followed the steps here at TFP to do an AA treatment for stains and your water turned blue? (I watched your video.)?

Did you add the sequestrant? Are you on well water? Do you use anything with silver (eg mineral cartridges like nature 2) or have maganese in water source? Have you used an algaecide with copper in it?

Blue instead of clear after black stains might suggest silver or manganese in the water I suspect. Let us know how it looks after you've added the metal sequestrant, let it filter nonstop for a day or so, and ave your FC level correct for your CYA.

Please also let us know a bit more about your water source, staining history, and what kind of products you've used in the pool. That might help us figure out the original source.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman View Post
    Ok, I missed something here entirely. If you just did a metal treatment with AA or citric acid don't slam/shock. Slowly bring your FC back up...it will fight the citric acid for a while so you have to keep checking and adding a bit at a time...but shocking/slamming/adding too much chlorine at once can cause the stains to return. That's because high levels of chlorine oxidize metals in the water.

Are you saying that you followed the steps here at TFP to do an AA treatment for stains and your water turned blue? (I watched your video.)?

Did you add the sequestrant? Are you on well water? Do you use anything with silver (eg mineral cartridges like nature 2) or have maganese in water source? Have you used an algaecide with copper in it?

Blue instead of clear after black stains might suggest silver or manganese in the water I suspect. Let us know how it looks after you've added the metal sequestrant, let it filter nonstop for a day or so, and ave your FC level correct for your CYA.

Please also let us know a bit more about your water source, staining history, and what kind of products you've used in the pool. That might help us figure out the original source.

Swampwoman in for the save! THANKS! I am still learning. I am so thankful there are so many others willing to teach and help.

HUGS!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Unfortunately, I'm stuck at work today. All my pics are on my facebook page. And facebook isn't working here today.

So basically here is what I can describe.

I started with a pool that had been unmaintained for at least 2 seasons. Leaves and other debris were left to hangout where ever they fell. I mucked out and cleaned as best I could until there was nothing but dark tea colored water. Then I SLAMed it. Once the FC stayed up, I balanced out the rest of the chems. I hesitate to say what I use to test, I'm waiting for the funds to get a TF100 kit. Right now I'm just 'dip sticking' But once I got the chems balanced I couldn't leave the dark ring and stains alone. Looked around here and found that to test for metals to use vitamin c. The reaction was almost like magic so I figured it was metal. Looked around for sources. My guess is the heater which has copper pipes. I continued to use more vitamin c all around the water line to clean up the black ring, while I waited for the citric acid to arrive. Added the citric acid and within 24 hours the parts of the ring I had not got to are gone. The statins are gone. But the water is BLUE.

I am looking for a suggestion as to which sequestrant to use.
    As far as I know the only way to remove the metal is to replace the water or use CuLator, so I'm going to do the CuLator, after I sequester.

Any suggestions or criticisms will be graciously accepted.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Oh I am sorry. I thought you meant it as blue as in color
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

10. Back To Top    #10

nice!
    25,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner. Not sure how old it is. Sand filter, not sure what brand/size, Hayward Super Pump c48k2n143b1. I have a Polaris 180 cleaner on it's last wheel (haha). I'm still not sure about water restrictions, but haven't gotten any hate mail about the amt I used last summer. I absolutely LOVE my TF-100 test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I now see what you meant from your video. I am not much help when it comes to your situation, but these guys will get you an the right track. I know it is hard to invest in a test kit when money is tight, but you are really going to need one to for us to help you help your pool.
    Lisa

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Anybody have any good ideas? I'm afraid to let the wife swim. She is not a fan of green hair. I tried to tell her it would look cool but...

13. Back To Top    #13

I have good luck with Jack's Magic Purple Stuff preventing stains from returning in my salt pool after I did the AA procedure to get rid of the stains.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

14. Back To Top    #14

Just so you know, I've found the culator to be pretty ineffective for the cost. But maybe it will work better for you if you have metals that aren't current sequestered.

At any rate, your extra details have helped explain a few things. You really are handicapped when it comes to following the AA treatment instructions (and the rest of TFT for that matter) if you don't have the TFT or the Taylor 2006 specifically, because for AA to work correctly, you need to very closely and accurately control both the ph and the FC level or you get sub-optimal (or perhaps unintend) results. The only way to do that is with a drop kit.

Since we don't know your "real" readings at the time of treatment its kinda hard to guess what happened. My hunch is that perhaps you brought the chlorine up too fast without sequestrant thereby oxidizing a metal. These treatments are a form of chemistry and like chemistry, require a bit of precision

So, please do yourself a favor and get a test kit. Life will better, promise

in the mean time, the two metal sequestrants TFT recommends are Jacks Magic or Metal Magic. Last year I switched to Metal Magic in my pool (I'm on a well with lotsa iron) -- I get it from Poolgeek.com for $15 a bottle, which is cheaper in my area than what I was getting jack's for. In my situation (vinyl liner) it works really well. yMMV.

Once you add the sequestrant, you may notice the water cloud up a bit. That will filter out in a few days if it happens, so don't panic.

Post back and let us know if that clears it up!

Cheers to an eventually-trouble-free pool!
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

16. Back To Top    #16

I was able to see them. I love the set up!

Kim

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

So I leave the house for work. My water is BLUE but clean. I can see the drain hole. I can see a dime. Tonight when I get home the water is cloudy. Can't even see the bottom step.
    FC 24
    CC 0
    CYA 50

Haven't added bleach in over 24 hours.

I clean my filter cartridges and the pressure goes up! I'm getting into bed. Pulling the covers over my head and call it a day.

18. Back To Top    #18

IF your FC is correct, it's awfully high even for a slam. Have you checked the FC/CYA chart for your pool?
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

I'm SLAMing. Haven't really stopped since I started. Been keeping it up, hoping the BLUE would go away.

20. Back To Top    #20

We're going to need a full set of test results to help you. We can not use dip strips or pool store results.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast